News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Fat Tire Wheel Lock experience

Started by Veggyhed, August 29, 2023, 05:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

Veggyhed

Has anyone purchased the fat tire wheel lock from Rad especially to a rad runner plus?
I have wanted one of these Cafe locks for a long time and they are extremely beneficial to commuters.
How easy are they to install?
What's your user experience with the lock?
Do they rattle while riding?

Sent from my TB310FU using Tapatalk

inoxa

I don't think they make them for fat tires yet.  But they are very popular in Europe.  When I lived in Amsterdam many bikes had them.  My wife had one and they look very easy to install and there is no noise. 

BUT you should be concerned with the battery being stolen.  Some riders take their batteries with them.  Some battery versions are very easy to steal.

Veggyhed

Tomorrow's the last day to get some money off the rad fat tire lock.
I also found out this lock won't fit my bike the rad runner plus.

https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/0ZWAbE

inoxa

If they fit that would be great.  Much more convenient locks if they would fit.
Good Luck

Veggyhed

I just pulled the lock. I know I have a rad runner Plus and it's not supposed to fit but I think I found a way to make the frame / Cafe lock work.
Here are the instructions for the lock https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/13543448514203-Rad-Fat-Tire-Wheel-Lock-and-Security-Chain-installation-instructions
Click the link for the installation instructions.

And then on Amazon I found this product byAbus that I think will work. I realize this is a little bit of an expensive experiment but I really want a frame lock.
ABUS Tightening Straps Lh Frame Lock Adaptor, Black https://a.co/d/eP0JNEh

Wish me luck [emoji1787]

inoxa

Yes good luck !!!
report back on how it goes.

John Rose

The Rad Fat Tire Wheel Lock has only recently (this Spring?) been added to the Rad Canada site, so I saved up my pennies and just got one for my RadExpand 5. They always had the ABUS wheel lock, but it was too small and their long chain is a foot shorter.

Ease of installation:
I thought it was going to be a big hassle, and that I'd have to take the back wheel off so as to get the fender off, install the lock, then reinstall the fender and wheel.
Then I looked on the chain side, saw the cutaway on that side of the fender, and sure enough that allowed the ends of the lock to fit over the fender.  :-[  Maybe two or three minutes to install once I realized that. It came with a Torx wrench that fit the two hex screws.

Security Chain accessory:
I got the long (160 cm) Rad Wheel Lock Security Chain to go with it. My reasoning was that I could lock up both of our bikes with the same chain. Also, the short one was out of stock (and still is).

Today was the first day that I had the need to actually use the lock and chain while I went inside a store, and later for an ice cream break.

A big advantage of the chain with the ring on one end is that (compared to a typical chain or cable) you do not have to bring the two ends together to lock it up. Wire cables are especially a hassle because you practically need two hands to wrangle the ends while reaching around the frame and bike rack, and a third hand to operate the lock. With the ring end I can get it around the front wheel rim, maybe include the riser tube in the noose, pass it around/through the bike stand, through the rear wheel and frame, and into the lock. It takes less time and effort than you might think because you only have to deal with the one end when you thread it through.

Since you don't have to bring the both ends together it effectively doubles the length of the chain. Locking up two bikes with it is no problem.

Key operation:
You cannot close the wheel lock without the key, but you can insert the chain end and lock it in place without a key, so take care to check that you actually have the key beforehand. Unlocking the wheel lock (shackle is spring-loaded to open) also releases the chain end for as long as you keep the key twisted.
On the lock that I got the shackle does not line up perfectly with the other side, but twisting it with very gentle pressure lines it up enough to close. Apparently (from reviews) most of them are like that.

I like the nice bright orange plastic on the keys.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Naranja_CT5+

When I bought mine. The local bike shop tried to talk me out of it saying it's not very popular in Calgary. I had one as a youngster in Asia and I wasn't expecting a very secure lock. But I was wrong, it was heavy and build like a kryptonite u-lock.

The instruction was a breeze. You unclip the cover and screw a couple of bolts. I liked the fact that you need to use the key to move the shackles. It prevents idiots from locking it without you knowing it.

The one I got is for the City5plus size L. I am sure the XL will fit the fat tires.
https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=9857.0
Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

Support the rad owners forum