Author Topic: Car bike rack for a Rad Rover 5  (Read 7286 times)

bigeyedphish

• View Profile
Car bike rack for a Rad Rover 5
« on: January 07, 2021, 01:32:46 AM »
Brand new owner with only 1 ride under my belt. I know I am going to need a bike rack. I'm looking for recommendations on a safe highly reliable option.
Thank you so much   

PJ

• View Profile
Re: Car bike rack for a Rad Rover 5
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Hollywood Racks Sport Rider (450.00 on Rad website) I've had mine several months and it is very reliable and heavy duty.  Excellent product. 

reppac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 01:20:28 PM »
I've been looking at this rack on the Northern Tools site. There are some reviews posted from Rad owners there.
Ultra-Tow Fat Tire 2-Bike Carrier. I'm seriously thinking of ordering it.

Mudder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 04:37:40 PM »
I have the Northern Tool Ultra Tow.  200 lb capacity.  Like the use of pins to ensure the adjustable hold down hooks for the frame, and they are secured by a wire lanyard so no fumbling.  The treaded hitch pin prevents wobble in the receiver.  $160 but look for discount coupon.

david@kingmanarts.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 06:07:46 AM »
We got a Saris EX2 from REI because of their return policies. We have put the Treks on it with no problem. I just unboxed my Rad Rover so haven’t had an opportunity to use it with the Rad yet.

https://bit.ly/3yvAlU1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:38:01 AM by Ryan »

bobhardy3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:54:22 AM »
Wow, the Northern Tools hauler looks pretty good.  I went a different route with some fabrication.  I bought a used hitch mount dual motorcycle hauler that is capable of 600#.  I cut and moved the brackets closer, shortened the tube, and elevated it up 4".  The real beauty of this type mount is the ramp!  makes loading much easier.  No post to put up, just strap it like a dirt bike.  They sell a cheaper version at Harbor Freight for single motorcycles that would work well. 

FYI, Northern Tools gives a 10% military discount!  Join their mailing list and get a coupon for discounts.  My only concern on their mount is the weight limit they use.  I had a Swagman for my regular bikes built identical.  The weight limit was much less.  Be careful if you want to use these on an RV.  Their are a handful that are RV approved.  The Hollywood mount is one of them I believe.  Rad just got a shipment in. 

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »
The one from Northern Tool is the best value given that there isn't much in the price range that is rated to haul heavy electric bikes. It gets the job done but there are some compromises compared to the Hollywood Racks (what I personally use). I talk about some of them in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGJ2fA9rm3E

I'd say if you haul often you might appreciate the Hollywood Racks but otherwise, the Northern Tool rack gets the job done just fine.

Edit: Written review here: https://ebikeescape.com/northern-tool-fat-tire-bike-rack-review/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:43:37 AM by Ryan »

Rockwallrick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 08:45:11 AM »
I got the Guide Gear Fat tire bike carrier for my rovers. ( Item # 700950 ) Looks to be the same carrier as shown in this thread and also cost about $160. Tried to load it by myself and hurt my back! Since then with my Wife’s help we have used it several times to explore various trails in Florida.

j-stevn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
Show us a video of getting the Rad Rover 5 up on the rack, please. I'm curious if I'll be able to make that happen.

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 07:12:08 AM »
I have a 2020 Rad Rover 5 and a 2020 Rad Rover 5 Step Through and I carry them both on this rack. It's about $210.

https://amzn.to/2Uq7uCj

Had to add a bar like this one for the step through bike.

https://amzn.to/3qRGnwj

Also got a piece of foam pipe insulation from Home Depot that I put around the top bar of the other one and use velcro wire ties around it to hold it on. Otherwise the foam on the hold down arm on the carrier rubs the paint on the bar after it wears through the foam because the bar is square.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Self-Seal-Pipe-Insulation-ORS11812/204760817
https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-8-in-x-1-2-in-Reusable-Ties-50-Pack-90924HD/202261940?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-202261940-_-N&

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:02:51 PM by Ryan »

twistydave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 06:56:35 PM »
I have a 6plus on order.  I was thinking about modifying a trailer hitch attached  2x4  screen flat platform I carry a big cooler on.  Has anyone else do that?

Rustyzipper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 09:50:41 AM »
New member here;with a Radrover 6 on order. 60 years young and needed something to help keep up with my son on trails and on city streets.
My question as to racks is wether I can carry the bike,sans battery on a standard mtb. rack-not hitch mounted,but the kind that one uses on hatchbacks like a Subby Outback. I have a Grabber ,not sure which model, but it’s designed to carry three mtb’ s which would probably exceed the Rad bike weight wise. I’m not in a position to be installing a hitch and then buying a rack to boot. Is this an option?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

wmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »
Don’t these racks tend to block tail lights and license plates? Especially with fat tire bikes like the Rover? How do people deal with this? Currently waiting for FedEx to deliver my Hollywood rack from Rad.

paulcstaley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 07:21:15 PM »
I drive a Ford Focus Hatchback and the only receivers available are 1 1/4". Has anyone found a rack for their RR with a 1 1/4" hitch? I know about the adapters but they seem sketchy and are not recommended on a number of sites, including RPB.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:47 AM »
Don’t these racks tend to block tail lights and license plates? Especially with fat tire bikes like the Rover? How do people deal with this? Currently waiting for FedEx to deliver my Hollywood rack from Rad.

I carry these for use with my Harbor Freight rack if needed, such as nighttime or when the rain cover is in place: https://amzn.to/3EjjQxL

They're pretty well made and although include magnetic bases, I use bungees or velcro to strap them to the tires since the rack is aluminum.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:08:43 AM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:47 AM »