Author Topic: Water Bottle Cages for Rad Bikes  (Read 21061 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Water Bottle Cages for Rad Bikes
« on: November 29, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
On my Rad Wagon there is limited options for a water bottle. I've seen some custom jobs, but haven't been too crazy about the solutions I've seen. I recently came across this product from Fidlock. The water bottle locks/twists into place which is much different from traditional water bottle cages. It can use the standard bolts, but they also sell a "Uni Base" which basically lets you mount the holder to any part of the bike frame using straps. Curious if anyone has used this or has a better solution. Only downside is they're pretty pricey.

Update April 2020: I've found a bunch of different options which are much more affordable than this. See "Water Bottle Solutions" on my accessories page: https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,104.0.html

Bottle with traditional mounting:

https://amzn.to/2OOMJ0U

Uni Base:

https://amzn.to/2Qt3f78
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:03:21 AM by Ryan »

Psuggmog Volbenz

• View Profile
Re: Water Bottle Cages for Rad Bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
I used a conventional aluminium rod waterbottle rack and mounted it on the right vertical frame tube at the front of the rear rack, with stainless steel worm drive hose clamps. This puts the bottle inside the triangular area between the seatpost and the rear rack on my 2018 Radwagon. It sits above the motor controller but does not touch it. The only waterbottle mount on the Radwagon is under to lower frame downtube and is too close to the front fender to allow a bottle cage to be mounted there. These threaded inserts do work for some types of air pimp mointing brackets, so are still useful.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:03:52 PM by Psuggmog Volbenz »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
I used a conventional aluminium rod waterbottle rack and mounted it on the right vertical frame tube at the front of the rear rack, with stainless steel worm drive hose clamps. This puts the bottle inside the triangular area between the seatpost and the rear rack on my 2018 Radwagon. It sits above the motor controller but does not touch it. The only waterbottle mount on the Radwagon is under to lower frame downtube and is too close to the front fender to allow a bottle cage to be mounted there. These threaded inserts do work for some types of air pimp mointing brackets, so are still usful.

Do you happen to have a picture? That sounds like a good option.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »
I used a conventional aluminium rod waterbottle rack and mounted it on the right vertical frame tube at the front of the rear rack, with stainless steel worm drive hose clamps. This puts the bottle inside the triangular area between the seatpost and the rear rack on my 2018 Radwagon. It sits above the motor controller but does not touch it. The only waterbottle mount on the Radwagon is under to lower frame downtube and is too close to the front fender to allow a bottle cage to be mounted there. These threaded inserts do work for some types of air pump mounting brackets, so are still useful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:33:17 PM by Psuggmog Volbenz »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing, looks like a good option. I modified your image via a new forum feature that allows for image rotation so hopefully that will solve any further issues.

RadBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:51:14 AM »

I used a conventional aluminium rod waterbottle rack and mounted it on the right vertical frame tube at the front of the rear rack, with stainless steel worm drive hose clamps. This puts the bottle inside the triangular area between the seatpost and the rear rack on my 2018 Radwagon. It sits above the motor controller but does not touch it. The only waterbottle mount on the Radwagon is under to lower frame downtube and is too close to the front fender to allow a bottle cage to be mounted there. These threaded inserts do work for some types of air pimp mointing brackets, so are still useful.

That is such a great idea. Wondering if you are able to have access to the water bottle when you are riding or if you need to stop in order to reach the bottle?

Psuggmog Volbenz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
I can reach the bottle when riding, but I have long arms.

Rjbur007

• View Profile
Water Bottle Cages for Rad Bikes
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
I found this

https://amzn.to/37fcVGr

I pull it tight and secure so that the bottle is to the right side of the top of the Top Tube of my 2018 RadWagon frame since I am right handed.  The bottle rotated a couple of times, but the battery seem to help support.  I believe I just need to tighten it more and I may add some rubber from an tube under strap for more grip against rotation.  But it worked good enough so far.

Since I have two RadWagons I ordered the following bottle cages.  They do offer an option for just one.

https://amzn.to/3cOAWFs

If you have a 2017 RadWagon then you can use the two screw mounts they have off to the side.  Someone did this by drilling a hole in the upper portion of the bottle support since the spread on those screws is much wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:29:34 AM by Ryan »

Rjbur007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:50 AM »
Just finished my first commute to work using my RadWagon and indeed my pulling a bit tighter on the strap seemed to keep the bottle in place.  52 miles round trip.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
There is a shop out of Denver who is making some custom parts for Rad Power Bikes. See picture attached - this is pretty slick way to mount your water bottle although also a bit pricey:

https://mri-denver.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Ffront-bottle-holder-mounting-bracket

Rjbur007

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
There is a shop out of Denver who is making some custom parts for Rad Power Bikes. See picture attached - this is pretty slick way to mount your water bottle although also a bit pricey:

https://mri-denver.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Ffront-bottle-holder-mounting-bracket

Just ordered two white ones for my wife’s RadWagon and mine as well.

Thanks!!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 06:54:12 AM »

Just ordered two white ones for my wife’s RadWagon and mine as well.

Thanks!!

Please share pictures once installed  8)

Whoopsumbass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »
Is there a preferred cage for the 2019 fat tire bike?  Just got my bike and want to buy the correct fitting cage and rear view handlebar end mirror

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »
Is there a preferred cage for the 2019 fat tire bike?  Just got my bike and want to buy the correct fitting cage and rear view handlebar end mirror

I would say it's more about where of a question of where you want to mount it. Any standard water bottle cage will work underneath the frame where there are holes, but that isn't an ideal spot. That's why many people opt for these more creative solutions.

Rjbur007

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 08:26:35 PM »

For mirrors on my RadWagon I used the following Left Hand one from Amazon:

https://amzn.to/3f7MYeG

It works great.  Picked one up for my wife’s RadWagon as well.

If you want a Right Hand ones as well, they do have them.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:30:05 AM by Ryan »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 08:26:35 PM »