Author Topic: Rad rhino 2020 lights not working  (Read 9448 times)

dfbarrett

• View Profile
Rad rhino 2020 lights not working
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »
Hi Guys

I have had the rad rhino for 2 weeks now and the front light and tail light have stopped working!

The rear brake light is working fine only. Any ideas what could be wrong. I've checked the connections and they look fine.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
Re: Rad rhino 2020 lights not working
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
Does the indicator on the display show when the light is on?

Can you toggle the switch on the front light to see if it resets?

If you have access to a multimeter, can you check if there's power going to the lights when you turn them on?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

dfbarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 02:05:43 PM »
Yes the indicator on the display shows that the light is on and the display is illumated.

There is no physical switch on this light to reset it.... It can only be turned off and on by holding the mode and up button together.

I have a multi meter but the two tiny connectors are so small that I cant get a voltage reading to see if there is any power going to the lamp.

I got onto rad support and they sent me a link for a full connector test to see if there was any dirt or water in any of the connectors on the bike. It made no difference they where all in great condition.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated because I don't know what to try next.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
The only other thing I can think of would be to see if the  front light can be plugged into the back, them see if the front light comes on with the break. Or figure out what the voltage/current requirements for the front light are and see if you can power it another way.

Or go back to Rad Support.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RadJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »
...see if the  front light can be plugged into the back...

Won't work, front light uses a 2 pin Higo connector, rear uses a 4, if you try, you might bend a pin (that's why Higo connectors are color coded).

I've been able to measure voltage on female Higos using (sewing) straight pins but YOU HAVE TO BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:49:36 PM by RadJohn »

dfbarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 05:39:59 AM »
I've gone back to Rad support and they are sending out a replacement controller. Should have it early next week.

I'll give an update if it works... Fingers crossed.

Gordon71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
I have the same issue on my new Rad Rover.  They are sending me a new controller but I think what I really need is a new headlight.  Today I was able to figure a way to read the voltage going to the front light and it read 51.2 so I know the light is getting power.  This afternoon I thought of something different to try. I unplugged the head light,turned on the battery,and turned on the headlight. Of course the headlight didn't come on BUT the tail light did.

dfbarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
Guys

Got the delivery of a replacement controller for the rad rhino today. I've just installed it and it worked. The headlight and the taillight are now working fine.

To be fair Rad support where very quick shipping out the new controller and I must say their support centre are excellent.

Delighted now that it is fixed :)

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »