Author Topic: Chain slipping while pedaling hard  (Read 321 times)

brandt

• View Profile
Chain slipping while pedaling hard
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:05:32 PM »
Hello all,

I received my rad runner about a week ago. One issue I'm trying to resolve is to figure out how to get the chain to stop slipping when I pedal hard.

Thanks!

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: Chain slipping while pedaling hard
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:21:42 PM »
My 'Runner 1 has a random "jump" when I get on the pedals. I think its the chain tensioner bouncing around and not responding quick enough. Its a Sturmey-Archer if I recall, and I would love to find a better quality one. But the "jump" decreased as I got some miles on it so I'm not really worried about to now. But if anyone finds a better tensioner that works on a "Runner 1 please share!

Wojciech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:13:19 AM »
@scooter - did you manage to resolve the issue? Iíve opened a ticket with Rad support regarding the same and wondered how it ended for you. Iíll post an update when hear back from Rad, so far theyíve asked me for a video of the chain in motion.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:28:23 AM »
Nope. I just put it down to the chain bouncing and the tension arm not reacting fast enough. So far my chain hasn't jumped off so its not a big concern, safety or reliability.

Wojciech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 10:45:35 PM »
Thanks! And  has the OP? @brandt?

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 09:17:52 PM »
My first few days, I thought the chain jumped occasionally. Then I noticed that while it happened only when I pedaled hard, it happened only at minimum torque: top dead center.

That's when i switch from pressing with my low foot to pressing with my high foot. When I pedal enthusiastically, my timing may be a little off, slowing the crank for a few milliseconds. Then my high foot drives the crankshaft forward, taking up the slack. The freewheel engages in increments that happen to be about the same as one link in the chain, so it can feel as if the chain jumped a link.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:31:57 AM by handlebar »

bora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
I had a tensioner alignment problem. Chain slips were resolved after aligning.