Author Topic: Bafang motor upgrade comparison  (Read 24371 times)

springer03

• View Profile
Re: Bafang motor upgrade comparison
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
OK, I have another question, I've been reading and trying to understand the relation of the number of strand bundles to torque and speed.
If I understand correctly the 750w (6) will have a slightly higher top speed and lower, low speed torque?
And the 750w (7) will have slightly higher low speed torque?
I ask because I live in a area with a lot of steep hills and I have some nerve damage in my legs and don't have a lot of strength for hard pedaling.
I have the 2020 Radrover (26 inch Wheels) and my wife has the Radrunner Plus (20 inch wheels) Which if I understand correctly it
is better on hills than the 26 inch wheels.
If having the (7) strand version would be a little more helpful on inclines I'll just install the (6) on her bike and order The (7) for mine.
I guess what I'm asking is, will the (7) be better on hills and will the (6) be faster?
Will the (7) have a better 0 to 20mph time? The (6) have better 20+ acceleration?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:28:35 AM by springer03 »

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2021, 11:04:21 PM »
OK, I have another question, I've been reading and trying to understand the relation of the number of strand bundles to torque and speed.
If I understand correctly the 750w (6) will have a slightly higher top speed and lower, low speed torque?
I ask because I live in a area with a lot of steep hills and I have some nerve damage in my legs and don't have a lot of strength for hard pedaling.
I have the 2020 Radrover (26 inch Wheels) and my wife has the Radrunner Plus (20 inch wheels) Which if I understand correctly it
If having the (7) strand version would be a little more helpful on inclines I'll just install the (6) on her bike and order The (7) for mine.
I guess what I'm asking is, will the (7) be better on hills and will the (6) be faster?
Will the (7) have a better 0 to 20mph time? The (6) have better 20+ acceleration?

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. This is the simulation of (6) and  (7) on Rover with 52v full battery. I have to remind I may not have the kv of (6) right on the last digit but very close. So what you can see is torque difference of ~10% below 5 mph and other way round  solid 10Nm above 25 mph (Max 2 mph topspeed difference). Identical performance between 5 to 25 mph.

springer03

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 01:44:20 AM »

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. This is the simulation of (6) and  (7) on Rover with 52v full battery. I have to remind I may not have the kv of (6) right on the last digit but very close. So what you can see is torque difference of ~10% below 5 mph and other way round  solid 10Nm above 25 mph (Max 2 mph topspeed difference). Identical performance between 5 to 25 mph.

Thanks!
That graph explains exactly what I was wondering.
I went ahead and ordered the 7 for mine, as I would prefer the extra torque down low and will put the 6 in my wife's.  Was going  to upgrade hers down the line anyways.
Thanks again!

springer03

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2021, 06:35:07 AM »

The Bafang model number is RM G060.750.D 06
Rad controller limits the motor power. The Rad motor internal RPM limiter limits the speed.

Is there any stamps on the motor (inside or outside) where I could identify which model the motor is? Just being curious and interested in learning how the ebike systems work. :)

The meaning of Bafang model markings:
G060 = casing identification
750 = nominal rating
D = freewheel (DC = freehub)
(6) = winding identification (smaller is faster, no it directly equal to KV)

All Power versions within same casing series are swappable.
Rated model not possible to say what from casing as OEM customers can have custom labeling or motor core can ne swapped.
Rad has done both. In the past casing swap (+sticker) and nowadays custom labeling.
KV can ne identified by no load speed (wheel of the ground full throttle) If you have the throttle.

I have one last question, I ordered 2 motors, one from Bolton and one from Electro Bike World, the one from Bolton is marked RM G060.750.D 06 with a little sticker with 26"/700c/28" BLDC for e-bike A4 and the one from Electro Bike World is marked RM G060.750.D 06 1 with sticker reading 20" BLDC for e-bike A5.
Does the "1" at the end on the second motor mean anything?
Do you know if these motors are identical?
I'm guessing they are but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:50 AM »

Rad controller limits the motor power. The Rad motor internal RPM limiter limits the speed.

Is there any stamps on the motor (inside or outside) where I could identify which model the motor is? Just being curious and interested in learning how the ebike systems work. :)

750 = nominal rating

Rated model not possible to say what from casing as OEM customers can have custom labeling or motor core can ne swapped.
Rad has done both. In the past casing swap (+sticker) and nowadays custom labeling.
KV can ne identified by no load speed (wheel of the ground full throttle) If you have the throttle.

I have one last question, I ordered 2 motors, one from Bolton and one from Electro Bike World, the one from Bolton is marked RM G060.750.D 06 with a little sticker with 26"/700c/28" BLDC for e-bike A4 and the one from Electro Bike World is marked RM G060.750.D 06 1 with sticker reading 20" BLDC for e-bike A5.

Thanks!

I have not aware If the "1" has some relevant meaning.
The indication of 20" wheel well describes the higher KV of that motor. The way you can compare these motors once installed is to set wheel diameter to same value on both bikes. Set speed limiter to 72 km/h or on stock controller Set wheel diam. to 20". Run bikes full throttle (full batteries) rear wheel of the ground. Compare Max speed values.

springer03

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2021, 09:25:23 AM »

750 = nominal rating

Thanks!

The indication of 20" wheel well describes the higher KV of that motor. The way you can compare these motors once installed is to set wheel diameter to same value on both bikes. Set speed limiter to 72 km/h or on stock controller Set wheel diam. to 20". Run bikes full throttle (full batteries) rear wheel of the ground. Compare Max speed values.
Thanks, I'm pretty new to this, 1 is going on a 20" wheel bike and 1 on a 26" wheel bike, if the one marked 20" has a higher kv,  would it give more low end torque on the 26" bike?
I'm trying to figure out which motor to put on which bike. 
Thanks so much

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »

750 = nominal rating

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm pretty new to this, 1 is going on a 20" wheel bike and 1 on a 26" wheel bike, if the one marked 20" has a higher kv,  would it give more low end torque on the 26" bike?
Thanks so much

Yes. Higher Kv is higher speed. So putting that on 20" bike will even the differences (speed and torque) between the bikes. Not necessarily make them exactly identical though as Kv differenfe may not 100% compensate wheel size difference.

springer03

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »

750 = nominal rating

Thanks!

Thanks so much

Yes. Higher Kv is higher speed. So putting that on 20" bike will even the differences (speed and torque) between the bikes. Not necessarily make them exactly identical though as Kv differenfe may not 100% compensate wheel size difference.

Thank you, I think I finally got it,
Higher kv=higher speed, lower torque
Lower kv=higher torque, lower speed
 Put the 20 on the 20 will get more speed, and the 26 on the 26 will get more torque,  which will mostly even the difference of wheel size.
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:24:16 PM by springer03 »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »