News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

What other electric bike brands did you consider?

Started by Ryan, April 02, 2020, 12:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Quote from: massassi on September 18, 2020, 08:25:46 AM
i'm sure it must be possible to build a limiter button, that you could engage/disengage at will in order to limit yourself in the places where you can be caught?

The ideal system would detect police radar and automatically slow you down to the correct speed  ;)

RadJohn

Quote from: Altema on September 18, 2020, 11:42:51 AM
Quote from: massassi on September 18, 2020, 08:25:46 AM
i'm sure it must be possible to build a limiter button, that you could engage/disengage at will in order to limit yourself in the places where you can be caught?

The ideal system would detect police radar and automatically slow you down to the correct speed  ;)

It wouldn't make any difference as the ONYX RCR has no Pedal Assist (PAS) sensor or system, so it can never be passed off as a Class 1 or 2 pedelec or Ebike (ALL RADs purport to be the later). It is a moped or motorcycle pure and simple and merely slowing down does not activate some magic transformer mechanism that applies a Class 1 Ebike sticker to the frame of the machine. In some jurisdictions, nonconforming Ebikes can and have been confiscated by the authorities.   

sc00ter

I almost forgot, I almost got the Addmotor M-66 R7. Love the looks and it was close but it came down to a adjustable seat, no need for gears and a sturdy rear rack option. Now back to the ONYX RCR, if my Piaggio scooter starts giving me issues I'm replacing it with something electric. I could slip the ONYX in as a moped or just do it as a motorcycle. I test rode the Zero motorcycle when it first came out, and while fun I no longer ride on the interstate and have no need to really go faster than 45mph, so the ONYX fits my intended use hands-down. Piaggio wants to much for their Electra escooter and it only goes 30mph. But then we got NUI with the impressive GT/S. So far the RadRunner has exceeded my expectations. I rode it all last week to work putting 150 happy miles on it. Pedal about 70% of the time at level 3 intervention. Maybe a ebike is all I need?

Altema

Quote from: RadJohn on September 18, 2020, 03:17:56 PMIt wouldn't make any difference as the ONYX RCR has no Pedal Assist (PAS) sensor or system, so it can never be passed off as a Class 1 pedelec or Ebike, which is what ALL the RADs purport to be. It is a moped or motorcycle pure and simple and merely slowing down does not activate some magic transformer mechanism that applies a Class 1 Ebike sticker to the frame of the machine. In some jurisdictions, nonconforming Ebikes can and have been confiscated by the authorities.
I was thinking in the context of an actual class 2 that was modified, but you are absolutely right. I can't imagine riding something that light at 60 mph, even though I have had my regular road bike over 40 mph when my knees still worked, lol.

When I was shopping for an e-bike, class 3 or mopeds were off the list. I needed a class 2 for where I ride, including state parks that have a suggested speed of 10 mph.

billewing

We looked hard at Juiced RipCurrent bike along with the others. It has been a few years since we have ridden so we went with Rad Mini's for now. There still might be a Juiced in the future but we are still waiting on our Rads for now. We will see. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk