News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Helmet Recommendation

Started by Eaglesham, December 30, 2021, 09:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

BenAyeB

The Bell Soquel helmet has MIPS and runs around $50, it's not a bad fit for summer and winter. With the twisty knob in the back for adjustment I was able to wear a double thick thinsulate hat.

George3

Our daughter is an ER doctor at a hospital in Seattle.  Sometime before Thanksgiving an older man was brought in by Emergency Services who was beat up after a cycling accident. The EMS folks did not remove his helmet as it appeared to be crushed around his skull. When it came time to remove the helmet they had to cut it away. His head and jaw had a few light scratches but nothing more and no concussion. After he was patched up and broken bones set he was sent to the hospital ward. My daughter then took a look at the helmet and noted its make and model.

For Christmas she sent me a new helmet........

I am not in anyway endorsing this helmet but what I am suggesting for your consideration is consider what your head is worth and then get the very best helmet you can afford.

Eaglesham

Thanks for all the suggestions

jbfoster

Has anyone tried any smart helmets?

I would like one so I can answer and make calls. I don't want to wear anything in my ears. I was looking at the Sena but they are a bit expensive. I don't need the rider to rider intercom. I usually ride by myself.

Thanks
Jim

JimInPT

For what it's worth, this Sena costs more than the cheap helmets but is well made and certified; the bluetooth audio also works well.  Like you, I want over-ear speakers so I stay aware of the world around me.  I use it almost exclusively to listen to podcasts and receive the rare phone call, don't need or use the intercom feature.  Audio is a little tinny as you'd expect from such tiny speakers, but they're fine for podcast and phone voices.  Battery life is also good; several hours on a charge.  I also bought the visor, which is optional on this model and really comes in handy near sunset.

If you can squeeze out the price money, I think it's worth it and you'd be hard-pressed to find similar quality and features under $100 IMHO.  I got the white one "used like new" for $103 and it was new in the box, so that wasn't bad at all.  If you're not in a hurry, use camelcamelcamel.com to set up a price watch on it for eventual lower prices.

https://amzn.to/3FyZ6SV
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

jbfoster

If I get the Sena I want the R2 Evo for $179. I'll hold off for now to see if I can catch it on sale somewhere.

Jim

Ryan

The Sena helmet (or Sena Pi) is my go-to helmet. When riding with my wife it's awesome to talk to each other and when I'm out by myself I turn on music. If you want to make your own helmet smart the Sena Pi's are a good option though still a bit pricey at $99 each: https://ebikeescape.com/sena-pi-review/

jbfoster

Quote from: Ryan on January 15, 2022, 12:56:11 PM
The Sena helmet (or Sena Pi) is my go-to helmet. When riding with my wife it's awesome to talk to each other and when I'm out by myself I turn on music. If you want to make your own helmet smart the Sena Pi's are a good option though still a bit pricey at $99 each: https://ebikeescape.com/sena-pi-review/

The Pi would be a good option if you have a MIPS helmet. I looked at both but I can't make my mind up. I like the light on the R2 Evo but I do have a MIPS helmet.

Jim

rsghowellnj

Finally after SEVERAL months of waiting I received my SENA R2 EVO on Amazon.  It is hit or miss on inventory.  Took about 2 weeks to get (FYI).

Rover

I have several helmets. My newest is the Thousand Chapter with visor. Everything I want in a quality helmet: MIPS, Dial adjusted fitting, good ventilation; light weight; LED light on back; and FIDLOCK magnetic chin strap.

FortunatelyTheMilk

I upgraded from a cheap skate helmet to a Thousands heritage, it's much more comfortable and fits so much better!

sheldonhaley

I'm using POC's Axion SPIN. I like its design. Its design isn't completely sealed, but it does cover more of the back and sides of the head. This model is available on Amazon, you can find it there.