News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery Charger

Started by EnergyGuy, June 17, 2023, 06:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

EnergyGuy

I have another lithium ion battery charger from another e-bike manufacturer.  Same plug, same polarity, but rated at 54.6V and 3 amp as opposed to the Rad battery charger rated at 48V and 2 amps (labels on the chargers).  Does anybody know if the higher voltage and amperage charger will work without damaging my battery (RadWagon 4)?

oldtexasdog

Not only could it damage your battery it could cause a fire. Lower amp and voltage on the chargers can be gotten away with sometimes but with Lithium batteries it is always best to stick with what your given by the Mfg. Read some of the articules even here in the forum about it.

Altema

54.6 volts is correct for a 48v battery. 3 amps of current is too high for the Rad battery. Although most batteries have a BMS (battery management system) that will reject the extra current, I cannot state that Rad's BMS will do that. It's better not to use this charger on your Rad.

DickB

3A is fine for Rad batteries. Standard batteries have 5A charge fuses, and semi-integrated have 10A charge fuses. The Rad BMS will shut down on overcurrent.

Altema

Quote from: DickB on July 05, 2023, 07:29:08 AM
3A is fine for Rad batteries. Standard batteries have 5A charge fuses, and semi-integrated have 10A charge fuses. The Rad BMS will shut down on overcurrent.

Thanks for the correction. I was not sure how the stock Rad batteries would behave in that situation and was just playing it safe ;)