News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

How bike-friendly is your community?

Started by Altema, September 13, 2020, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Our location in SE Michigan is good on some points, not so good on others.
Positives:
1. We have lots of paved bike paths and mountain bike trails.
2. Several bike path have parking lots to leave your car in.
3. Most people react with smiles and greetings when approaching.
4. Most drivers will wait for you at intersections.

Negatives:
5. Few stores have bike racks, or have a rack in a poor location as an afterthought.
6. The restrooms along public bike trails are either closed, or randomly open. I've had to cut rides short for this reason.
7. Some trails and sidewalks are nice, then terminate suddenly. One sidewalk near me terminates in a four foot drop.
8. Some freeway overpasses are impassible by bike, with no sidewalk and no space apart from very aggressive traffic.

How is it where you live?

sc00ter

Norfolk, VA is trying to include bicycle lanes. But the lanes end and your back on your own. Better than nothing. I like the list format also, so:

My commute is 14 miles one way. I slip on the sidewalk when needed. I jump off if someone is on it.
I go from Norfolk to Virginia Beach for work. Both cities are hit (20%) and miss (80%) on bike lanes.
All of my stops have bike racks except the Post Office.
My work is 100% secure so I don't lock it there.
I have 2 horrible intersections that I dread when I get to them.
I rarely see other bicycle commuters but I work from 2-10:30PM.
I charge my battery at work and will bring it in the building if needed, but my parking spot is pretty dry as is.
Mirrors are my friend! Need to know whats behind me.
I carry a mace wrist wrap and a boaters air horn in my pocket.
I sometimes mark terrible bumps or holes with hot pink spray paint. Some roads need repair and dangerous.

TDR

Northwest Ohio is pretty good.
1) About 70 miles of "rails to Trails". Combination of asphalt and hardpack.
2) There rest areas along the trails.
3) There are bike repair stations along the way.
4) Plenty of parking at trail heads.
5) Connector trails from main trails to other Metropark Trails.
6) Plenty of dedicated bike paths/lanes in my town.
7) Drivers are courteous.

Altema

Sc00ter - That pink spray paint to mark hazards is a great idea, and I think I'll pick up a can. Tree roots under the pavement are a problem on our older trails, and some spots are so bad that I would have crashed on a normal road bike. I passed one man yesterday who had pulled off to rest from the bumps. You are fortunate to have bike racks available. We have so many stores and other business within one mile of us, and the closest strip mall with about twenty businesses has one bike rack at the far end. My favorite Walgreens has a rack at the back of the building, and a thief could do what he wanted because the door is over a hundred feet away. All they would have to to is ride or jog off if the owner comes out.

TDR - We must be behind the times in Michigan... what's a bike repair station? Lol.
We do have some connector trails, and I even found a hidden access path behind the parking lot of a mini-golf place, but from public trails to Metroparks is hit or miss. The largest one has free access, but no parking. The closest state park is only 7 miles away, but all the access paths have gates and chains, so you have to drive there and have a permit.

TDR

Altema - Bike repair stations are pretty basic, Manual air pump, Allen wrenches and a few other tools to get you back up riding. I think it's nice to have along the trails.

RadJohn

Quote from: Altema on September 14, 2020, 09:39:25 AM...what's a bike repair station?

These things are starting to pop up along the Erie Canalway Trail and various cities I've visited in the last year or so: http://carlessoh.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/20151002-otet-08.jpg

I've actually used them a few times, figured I'd better do it before all the stuff got stolen...

Altema

Quote from: TDR on September 14, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
Altema - Bike repair stations are pretty basic, Manual air pump, Allen wrenches and a few other tools to get you back up riding. I think it's nice to have along the trails.

That is good to have, and I just saw my first one yesterday as a matter of fact. It was in a state park near the trailhead, and I thought the bundle of wrenches was accidentally left there, lol. Thanks for explaining. After 340 miles of riding, it was the only one I've seen.
I carry my own tools now, after an incident where I found two families with children stranded because a brake caliper folded and jammed against the wheel. I was able to take it apart and bend the parts back, including the brake pad which was bent in a U shape, but it was difficult with my bare hands. So now I carry the Rad assembly toolkit and a few other things, just in case.

Altema

Quote from: RadJohn on September 14, 2020, 03:44:21 PM
Quote from: Altema on September 14, 2020, 09:39:25 AM...what's a bike repair station?

These things are starting to pop up along the Erie Canalway Trail and various cities I've visited in the last year or so: http://carlessoh.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/20151002-otet-08.jpg

I've actually used them a few times, figured I'd better do it before all the stuff got stolen...

Looks nice! The one I saw had a large pump, but the few tools were on a large key ring which I suspect made using them inconvenient.

Altema

I found out Google Maps has an option to turn on a Bicycling feature where it shows all the paths and trails. Cool. Found out I can go further North than expected, and took an exploration run at nightfall. Most drivers are considerate, but few people actively look out for cyclists. I was coming home from exploring when I saw a man and his 10 or so year old son trying to cross an intersection in the dark. They had the light and the crosswalk in their favor, but the right-turning cars just kept coming. So, I pulled into the intersection from the other side and drivers noticed that there were bikes trying to get across. Not really a driver fault because my bike was the only one with lights, but I look to my right when I turn in a car, specifically to look for pedestrians and cyclists. Wish I had an extra headlight to give them, as it looked like they were not expecting to be out that late. I might just pick up an inexpensive one to have on hand.

Bob Rivera

Miami-Dada County. Florida: Bike lanes are used as a passing  lane on the right. Here you have to be very cautious. If someone hits you; nine times out of ten, they will not stick around. probably no insurance or drunk. Got a rack to go to safer trails.