News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Extension cables

Started by j.Au, October 25, 2021, 01:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

j.Au

Hey all, I'm trying to do some light mods to my RR+ named Bichael. One of these mods involves the 35a controller. I currently have it underneath the bike where the old controller is but I'd like to shift it up to underneath the passenger seat to help with weatherproofing. I'm hearing stories about it getting splashed in puddles and having some issues so I'd like to mitigate that. I have managed to find extension cables with the right connectors for every one of the cables so far except the 10-pin connector that goes into the frame and hooks up to the wiring harness. I'm driving myself nuts, I just need a damn male-female extension cable with a few feet of wire but I can't seem to find the right connector anywhere. Have any of you had more success? Do you know where you might find the right connector? I don't particularly trust my abilities to make my own cable so I'm ready to pay somewhat of a premium to get this thing if need be.

surfer8210

There's plenty of guys making any connectors you could possibly need on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.Au

Quote from: surfer8210 on October 25, 2021, 01:40:26 PM
There's plenty of guys making any connectors you could possibly need on Facebook.

Interesting.  I'm a total newbie at sourcing FB private jobs.  Where would I look?  Also, finding the specific connector head has been a real challenge.  Would they be able to make that?

j.Au

So I found possibly the only place in the US aside from Rad themselves that has Rad wiring harnesses.  Zipp-e-bikes in Galveston, TX.  I actually spoke to one of their reps on the phone asking if they could do a custom splice for me.  While unfortunately they could not, the rep was super enthusiastic, kind and absolutely pumped to talk about ebikes.  I wound up ordering one of their extended wiring harnesses that adds about 10 inches to the cable, and have asked an electrician friend of mine to lengthen the 10-pin side to the length I need. 

https://zipp-e-bikes.shoplightspeed.com/

JimInPT

Quote from: j.Au on October 30, 2021, 07:53:56 AM
So I found possibly the only place in the US aside from Rad themselves that has Rad wiring harnesses.  Zipp-e-bikes in Galveston, TX.

https://zipp-e-bikes.shoplightspeed.com/

That looks like a great resource for parts, and I've bookmarked it - thanks for digging it out!  It looks like they have one or two short extension cables (like the 5-pin and headlight splitter), so maybe if there's enough demand they could commission more variations for modders like yourself.  I think I can install the Bolton 35A controller/display mod to my MiniST without additional cabling (Altema needed to lengthen one of his for the non-ST variation IIRC), so might not need one, but it's good to have a source to splice up my own if needed.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

j.Au

I'm so pleased I found it and am happy to share with the community.  It's fun, feels like beyond the most common mods we're all exploring new territory.  Feels like a modern take on the scooter and moped craze of the mid 1900s.

Altema

Company looks good, glad you are having fun with the bike!

Sirch

I've seen plenty of Amazon offering all different ends

https://amzn.to/3CFijB0

JimInPT

Quote from: Sirch on November 09, 2021, 07:57:11 AM
I've seen plenty of Amazon offering all different ends

https://amzn.to/3CFijB0

Well now, THAT is a potentially-great find - thanks!
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

MagnumPA

Speaking of extension cables, does anyone know how many pin plug is needed for a RadRunner Plus tail light extension?  I don't really like how it's hidden under the rack/seat.  Has anyone tried a Y splitter cable to run an extra light? 

SergeL

Quote from: MagnumPA on November 13, 2021, 08:25:15 PM
Speaking of extension cables, does anyone know how many pin plug is needed for a RadRunner Plus tail light extension?  I don't really like how it's hidden under the rack/seat.  Has anyone tried a Y splitter cable to run an extra light?

Rear combination taililight/brake light on the RadMini step-through has 4-pin (Julet) connectors; yours is very likely the same. I bought such an extension on Amazon . To make extra sure it is the right one, nothing like pulling the connectors apart. RadPower inistructs to pull them apart straight out, but those things can be quite stubborn, especially in colder temperaturs (trust me; found out recently with temperature near freezing inside my garage; warming up connector slightly wth a heat gun works wonders).

Looking at the position of that light on your bike, I wouldn't change it if it were mine; it should be plenty visible, especially when seen by approaching vehicles, and has some protection from rain and bumps. I like how my Rad rear rack improved the location of the tail-/brake- light on my Mini (now looks quite like yours does).

YMMV