News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New RadRover 6 battery question

Started by CruzRover, May 21, 2023, 03:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

CruzRover

Hello all...

I just received a new RadRover 6 this morning and am currently assembling it...  One of the first things I did was check the battery indicator and it showed one bar.  The RadPowerBikes website said it should come 50 to 70 percent charged and that I should be able to take it for a spin after assembly without charging it.  I removed the battery and am charging it without ever using it... but now I am almost done assembling it and I am having a hard time resisting not throwing the batter in and using it..  Just curious if anyone has advice on the battery and doing that without the full 12 hour charge mentioned in the manual for initial charge... seems odd it came nearly empty. 

Andy advice would be greatly appreciated before I do anything stupid.  :P

DickB

It will not hurt it to use it on less than a full charge. For longevity, avoid fully draining.

santacruzpaul

Quote from: CruzRover on May 21, 2023, 03:48:50 PM
Hello all...

I just received a new RadRover 6 this morning and am currently assembling it...  One of the first things I did was check the battery indicator and it showed one bar.  The RadPowerBikes website said it should come 50 to 70 percent charged and that I should be able to take it for a spin after assembly without charging it.  I removed the battery and am charging it without ever using it... but now I am almost done assembling it and I am having a hard time resisting not throwing the batter in and using it..  Just curious if anyone has advice on the battery and doing that without the full 12 hour charge mentioned in the manual for initial charge... seems odd it came nearly empty. 

Andy advice would be greatly appreciated before I do anything stupid.  :P

Balancing battery requires three 12 hour charges, From what I have read and done, Putting on about 10 or 15 miles after each 12 hour balancing charge

JimInPT

Quote from: santacruzpaul on May 21, 2023, 05:36:14 PMBalancing battery requires three 12 hour charges, From what I have read and done, Putting on about 10 or 15 miles after each 12 hour balancing charge

IIRC, the new semi-integrated battery design and controller on the 6 series no longer requires manual balancing; maybe they've been updated for continuous rebalancing management.  I don't own one of the newer ones, FYI, but did the 3-cycle initial balancing on my 2021 MiniST2 and a 2-cycle refresh before taking it out this spring after winter hibernation.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.