News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

thinking of installing knobby tires?

Started by LarryM, March 30, 2022, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

LarryM

My experience:
For my riding on the Phoenix East Valley pathways and roads, the RadCity 5Plus standard 2.0" smooth tread tires, are inadequate.  The 2.30" knobbies I installed (58-584) made a great  improvement in handling and tracking.  Per Rad Customer Service, 2.30" is the largest tire that can be mounted on the rims.  If you're considering knobby tires, beware of tires that have large knobs on the outer edges (like eRubans).  These cornering knobs interfere with the fenders and fender support brackets.  With modifications though, such tires can be made to work.  Hope someone finds this knowledge useful.  ((No, I didn't want a fat-tire bike))

NaturallyRC

Thanks for sharing. I find knobbies to be a big energy sapper, and therefore only have them on my mountain bike, versus my commuter and roadie (all pedal bikes). I wonder if you have noticed a drop in fuel-efficiency. There has to be some (that's just physics), but I wonder how much. Cheers.

Slowrider

Quote from: LarryM on March 30, 2022, 06:35:55 PM
My experience:
For my riding on the Phoenix East Valley pathways and roads, the RadCity 5Plus standard 2.0" smooth tread tires, are inadequate.  The 2.30" knobbies I installed (58-584) made a great  improvement in handling and tracking.  Per Rad Customer Service, 2.30" is the largest tire that can be mounted on the rims.  If you're considering knobby tires, beware of tires that have large knobs on the outer edges (like eRubans).  These cornering knobs interfere with the fenders and fender support brackets.  With modifications though, such tires can be made to work.  Hope someone finds this knowledge useful.  ((No, I didn't want a fat-tire bike))

I guess if you need to run on dirt or gravel trails and really dislike the Rover then it's an option.  I wonder if there's a middle ground between the stock high efficiency tires and knobby MTB tires?

LarryM

The previous version of RadCity came with 2.30" "multi-terrain" tires.  The center knobs on my eRubans are not much larger than the knobs on those tires.  They are closely spaced so the tire is quiet and smooth running.  The outer two rings of knobs are progressively larger, giving much better grip in soft conditions, especially when cornering.  There has to be some loss of battery range, but I think that is irrelevant as my rides are usually 24-40 miles.  Still plenty of reserve.

NaturallyRC

Makes sense.

Quote from: LarryM on April 06, 2022, 05:52:16 PM
The previous version of RadCity came with 2.30" "multi-terrain" tires.  The center knobs on my eRubans are not much larger than the knobs on those tires.  They are closely spaced so the tire is quiet and smooth running.  The outer two rings of knobs are progressively larger, giving much better grip in soft conditions, especially when cornering.  There has to be some loss of battery range, but I think that is irrelevant as my rides are usually 24-40 miles.  Still plenty of reserve.

FL-GK

Quote from: LarryM on March 30, 2022, 06:35:55 PM
My experience:
Thanks Larry, I agree with your comments, I purchased Rad City vs Rover for what sounds like similar reasons. That said, I want to upgrade my tires as well. What brand did you go with? I have a HS and step thru (wife's) and will be upgrading both. Oh! I was also really wondering what they recommended as max width so thanks specifically for that as well.

LarryM

I installed Continental eRuban Plus tires, from REI.  You'll have to decide if they are appropriate for your bike.  I've over 100 miles on them and I'm very happy with them.  As per my posting, mounting these tires require clearance modifications.  I've attached 3 pictures.  One shows the Rad multi-terrain tire on the previous RadCity. One shows my eRuban.  Those outermost knobs cause the clearance issue.  The last pic shows the primary clearance modification I did.  I used a cut-off grinding disk to cut the fender bracket, then spliced-in an annealed brass tube for 3 inches of width.  Note the bends along the length of the wire to bring the attachment ends back in, so there is no stress at the splice.  You can solder or loctite the splice.  Finding a tire without those large outside knobs would simplify your tire swap!  If you have more specific questions please click the "Personal Message" icon below my name.   Happy Trails!

FL-GK

That's awesome! Thanks bro. I'll post some pics when I figure out what I'm doing. Nice job on the mod too.

FL-GK

I went with Fincci Pair 27.5 x 2.35 Inch 60-584 Foldable 60 TPI All Mountain Enduro Tires with Nylon Protection for MTB Hybrid Bike Bicycle - Pack of 2. I'll report back how they work out. It might be a week or so before I have a chance to install them though (or I might do it tonight - LOL).