Author Topic: Phaserunner updates and waterproofing  (Read 3260 times)

Altema

• View Profile
Phaserunner updates and waterproofing
« on: July 01, 2021, 05:05:02 PM »
The Phaserunner on my bike is setup with a three position switch, and the controller is configured use the three positions as different configurations or modes.
For a while I've had modes configured as follows:
Mode 1 = Class 2
Mode 2 = Class 3
Mode 3 = Unrestricted

It worked out well, but I found that I had no use for Class 3. The only difference between Class 2 and 3 is that Class 3 allows the pedal assist to work up to 28mph, and the RadMini gearing for the pedals is designed for a comfortable pace at 20mph.
What I decided to do is get rid of the class 3 settings and reconfigure modes 1 and 2, and create an economy mode.  As it stands right now, the modes are configured as follows:
Mode 1 = Eco mode (20mph max, class 2 compliant)
Mode 2 = Limited to 28mph, but optimized specifically for cruise control.
Mode 3 = Unrestricted, but power limited to 1800 watts.

This has been working out very well, and on the last group ride, I had plenty of battery AND performance. The really nice thing about the Phaserunner is that you can be in economy mode, using the throttle and pedal assist at the same time, and just flip the mode switch. It transitions smoothly to whatever the new power, PAS, and speed limit setting are, and you don't have to pause or stop pedaling.

Pedal assist is working smoothly, and the only recent adjustment was making power engagement for pedal assist more gradual so it didn't "jump back on the power" too suddenly. 

Waterproofing

Well, water resistance, actually. The Phaserunner controller is itself submersible, but those connector sure are not! I went through and did triple sealing of those bulky JST connectors, with shrink wrap tubing on the cable and connector shell, then I made the connection and slid a large piece of tubing to close it up. There are some un-used connectors, and I covered those and sealed the ends. A huge help in this process is a heat gun for the tubing... SO much easier and more effective. Afterwards I got caught in a storm, and rode fast for ten miles in pouring rain. The mode switch on the handlebars got wet and the modes got weird, and I had to hold my hand over the headlight switch which has ZERO water resistance, but the wiring itself handled the storm with flying colors.

Let me know if you have any questions!

CommsandMobility

• View Profile
Re: Phaserunner updates and waterproofing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »
Just checking but you're running the Phaserunner controller on a RadMini?

This sounds like an interesting option for our bikes bu looks like it comes in a little above the cost of some of the other controllers (35a Bolton, Electro Bike World)- but this sounds like it's got your mini moving along at a fair bit above stock speeds. I am looking at their product info page now and I might have to watch these videos about setup. We already have a Eggrider V2 on one bike and the Electro Bike World combo on the other, and yet, here I am...  ;)

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 09:55:54 AM »
Just checking but you're running the Phaserunner controller on a RadMini?

This sounds like an interesting option for our bikes bu looks like it comes in a little above the cost of some of the other controllers (35a Bolton, Electro Bike World)- but this sounds like it's got your mini moving along at a fair bit above stock speeds. I am looking at their product info page now and I might have to watch these videos about setup. We already have a Eggrider V2 on one bike and the Electro Bike World combo on the other, and yet, here I am...  ;)
Yes, it is on a RadMini 4, the 2020 version. I liked the Bolton/EBW 35 amp controller (they both sell the same one), but on group rides a lot of the other bikes had 30 to 33mph top speeds, so 29mph was just shy of keeping up. The Phaserunner gave me the efficiency and quietness of the original Rad controller, and the power of the Bolton/EBW controller, but I have to admit it was a lot of work.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
I have the 35 amp controller and real 750 motor in my euro model 2020 Radmini 4 but can only get to 23.5 mph. But with plenty of power and acceleration. I would like to get to 29 mph.  I watched your video of the ride with the Phaserunner but it would need to be a bit more plug and play for me. Otherwise I would go for it.  Tony

CommsandMobility

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 06:48:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply on this.  I've been looking more closely into the phaserunner since my reply to your post, so it's nice to hear a little more about it.  Those are impressive speeds on a Radmini, like wow.

Lots of food for thought here.  We recently also acquired a bafang mid drive equipped bike, and finally drew the connection between Grin tech and the cycle satiator we already happen to have around here thanks to the generosity of a fellow tinkerer  friend, I'm seeing what's going on here in this Phaserunner world and I think I like it. The EBW kit has been fun on my Rad Runner but I'm intrigued by the possibilities this type of controller.  Looks like i am going to need a Cycle Analyst as well.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 01:30:10 PM »
I have the 35 amp controller and real 750 motor in my euro model 2020 Radmini 4 but can only get to 23.5 mph. But with plenty of power and acceleration. I would like to get to 29 mph.  I watched your video of the ride with the Phaserunner but it would need to be a bit more plug and play for me. Otherwise I would go for it.  Tony

The Bafang 750 watt motor has different versions. I specifically picked the one with the higher speed winding and gave up some torque. If you give me the model number on the motor casing (it will look like RM G0648V750W7 or similar), and what voltage battery you are using, I can check what speed you can expect.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 01:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply on this.  I've been looking more closely into the phaserunner since my reply to your post, so it's nice to hear a little more about it.  Those are impressive speeds on a Radmini, like wow.

Lots of food for thought here.  We recently also acquired a bafang mid drive equipped bike, and finally drew the connection between Grin tech and the cycle satiator we already happen to have around here thanks to the generosity of a fellow tinkerer  friend, I'm seeing what's going on here in this Phaserunner world and I think I like it. The EBW kit has been fun on my Rad Runner but I'm intrigued by the possibilities this type of controller.  Looks like i am going to need a Cycle Analyst as well.

It's an adventure, but once you get past the steep learning curve, the possibilities are wonderful. Technically, you can use the Phaserunner without any display, but it will be throttle only with no pedal assist or brake cutoffs.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 01:36:22 PM »