News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Weather-Proofing / Rain-Proofing Rad Bikes

Started by smoke, July 01, 2021, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

smoke

I am trying to learn how to live without a car for international travel so I just ordered a Rad Mission.

It is the rainy season so I am concerned about weather. I got rain gear for cycling, including bike trunk with fold out paniers, cellphone holder, laptop backcover cover, rain jacket and pants, and silicone zipped shoe covers.

My clothes, walking shoes, and stuff all would be protected from the rain, but I am concerned about the bike itself.

I have considered using plastic wrap to wrap the battery, controller, and electronics on handlebars. I have also consider a clear marine grease for anywhere that rain could harm electronics on the bike. Are Rad Mission bikes already greased for this purpose? Will the motor be okay in the rain? Anyone have solutions?

I would have gotten the kickstand if it was in stock. Are there after-market kickstands that I can install?

DickB

Altema

The controller is water resistant, and I sometimes ride in the rain on purpose. The motor has seals on the mounting plate and axle openings, so that has not been a problem. The controls are likely water resistant (mine are different from the Mission), and my only area for concern would be the battery. Sometimes in heavy rain, moisture will get into the battery connection. It has not caused any short or other problems, but there are battery jackets that will fully eliminate any issue.

smoke

it seems like everything is designed to drain and adding covers or grease could prevent proper water drainage from stuff like the controller and battery. i would still be tempted to wrap the battery and controller in heavy rain, maybe with shrink wrap, or finding a battery cover that will fit the battery. however, it sounds like having an ebike made in seattle would be made sufficiently rain resistant and trying to make it more rain resistance could actually impede keeping it dry.

the only thing they seem to suggest is to maintain the chain by using a chain cleaner and wet chain lubricant. and do the usual check-up to make sure everything is tight and aligned and to make sure tires have proper air pressure.

i am reviewing the owner's manual now. it seems grease is needed in assembly for the pedals. and brake cable lubrication is also recommended. are there recommendations on lubing brake cables for maintenance? tri-flow? i think i might finally get a torque wrench and will be picking up the brake pedal wrench and bike grease for the pedals.

if the drive train is out of alignment, it seems it is recommended to use a certified bike mechanic to do the adjustments to the crank shaft or bottom brack bracket, which requires a couple of special tools. it is also suggested to have a certified bike mechanic check the overall assembly.

Altema

Below is a link to the battery jacket I used. The top closes up nicely, and the only opening after installing is at the bottom for the cable. You may need to verify it will fit the Rad Mission, as it has a different battery, and I'm not sure if the differences are simply electrical, or if the physical size is different.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/858492078/battery-jacket-carbon-fiber-look-custom

I would not be concerned about the controller. I've taken mine apart and the electronics are covered in sealant. The chain is exposed and the only thing you can do is keep it clean and lubed like you mentioned. Tri-Flow works well for the brake cables, and it is good to have the bike checked over by a mechanic who is experienced in e-bikes.