Author Topic: Motor whining, then no throttle, wheel shudders when rolling backwards  (Read 4523 times)

jalopy

• View Profile
Howdy folks, glad to be here, not so glad it's about my 3 month old bike and I can't get ahold of Rad about it.

So a couple weeks ago I started noticing a squealing  coming steadily from my rear hub at low speeds. Removed the wheel from the bike and verified that it squealed even off the bike, but it went away over 7 mph or so, so I stupidly ignored it.

Over the weeks it had gotten louder and more noticeable at higher speeds, but still couldn't be heard above 12 mph or so. At this point I filmed the behavior and emailed Rad.

The next morning I came to a stop and then the throttle just wouldn't work. It's a RadRunner, so no error codes. Checked all electrical connections and removed the rear brake just to be sure, no dice. I pedaled out off the trail and hitched a ride home.

While loading the bike, I noticed a shudder when rolling the bike backwards, leading me to believe the gears or clutch might be shot.

Does this line up with anyone else's experience with hub motor failure? I've ordered replacement planetary gears after going 2 days without a response from Rad - I would really rather not void my warranty but this is my main mode of transportation and I need it back up ASAP.

Thanks!

jalopy

• View Profile
Weirdly, it was the controller.

johnbolger2020

• View Profile
Just came across your problem now. Glad you got sorted. Just wondering if Rad sorted it for you or you figured out it yourself?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

RobtRoma

• View Profile
Weirdly, it was the controller.

That is weird.  I'm glad you posted what happened though.  I'm also curious if Rad actually got back to you or if you figured this out yourself.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum