News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rover Performance Headlight

Started by George3, December 21, 2020, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

George3

Just received the upgraded front headlight for the Rover5.  Took a good long while for it to be in stock but RAD notified me that they had them so here it is. 

Let me first start out by saying I am not a night time rider. I purchased this for the increased daytime visibility it produces and for the twilight times when I don't get home before dark.

First off, it is considerably larger than stock. Super easy to install and I left the included grid protector on. Visibility wise I would say it is twice as large as stock and the light has a nice halo glow to it.  Fit and finish is excellent and it is stamped RAD power bikes on the rear.  The mount is also much better than stock. 

George

Jvangurp

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spyder918

fin_rad

Rad uses 48V output for the light?

sc00ter

I just got the same headlight upgrade for my 'Runner. Have yet to ride it in the dark. It is much bigger and hits my Foldylock. Gonna relocate the Foldylock to a different location. Like the light so far, will report back once I start riding at night again.

Ryan

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It certainly is better than the stock one but there are still better lights (albeit rechargeable) that are brighter for the same cost. I also really prefer blinking modes for daylight visibility: https://ebikeescape.com/rad-power-bikes-premium-headlight-review/

George3

I certainly understand your preference for a blinking front headlight although I don't particularly care for them.  Cars and motorcycles certainly don't use them for good reason which is why this larger diameter light fits my needs better and I believe makes me more noticeable, if you will, than the stock light during daytime and twilight conditions.

I am also not fond of replacing batteries and or charging lighting devices and the fact that this runs off the bikes's battery, turns on/off easily without having to fiddle around looking for some minuscule button just makes things easier for me.

Again, for those that require a proper night time headlight this may not be the best option. While certainly better than the stock light, which isn't saying much, i would not recommend it for regular nighttime riding.  It just doesn't have the depth and width I would associate with a proper light. 

However, for my purposes it is perfect, albeit a bit pricey with shipping and tax.

George

Jvangurp

Quote from: George3 on December 23, 2020, 08:00:28 PM
I am also not fond of replacing batteries and or charging lighting devices and the fact that this runs off the bikes's battery, turns on/off easily without having to fiddle around looking for some minuscule button just makes things easier for me.

I'm with George on the hard wired advantage... charging seems like something I'm going to forget just when I need it.

Altema

Quote from: Jvangurp on December 24, 2020, 04:06:59 AM
Quote from: George3 on December 23, 2020, 08:00:28 PM

I'm with George on the hard wired advantage... charging seems like something I'm going to forget just when I need it.
Hardwired is definitely an advantage, which is why I kept my Rad light after installing a Nitecore headlight. I ride a lot at night and need the extra illumination and high/low beam feature, but the Rad light is always there and requires no thought.