Author Topic: charging off grid  (Read 2435 times)

mrchirpdale

• View Profile
charging off grid
« on: July 18, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
So, my rad city step through is now broken in with 2000 Kilometers or 1200 miles. I have been riding the Kettle valley rail line in B.C. I have decided to do some camping and ride this rail line which will take all summer. I plan on camping, riding in both direction and moving on the net day and doing it again. AC power is not always available and solar isn't really feasible. Can anyone make a suggestion such as inverter and small generator or alternatives?

DCH3416

• View Profile
Re: charging off grid
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:39:49 AM by Ryan »

RadJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:03:20 PM »
As for inverters, since your Rad charger is rated at 120 Watts at 120 VAC input, a 150 Watt inverter should work but a 300 Watt one would provide a safer margin and an inverter with a  "Pure Sine Wave" output would be less likely to cause problems with the electronics in your Rad charger. Amazon sells 300 Watt Bestek brand inverters that are generally well rated and relatively inexpensive. I've charged Rad batteries with one several times.

However, modern inverters with typical efficiency draw about 12 Amps from your cars electrical system with a charger drawing 120 Watts during the first part of the charge cycle, which might push the limit of some automotive plastic accessory sockets and installed fuses (some are only rated for 10 Amps, check your vehicle owners manual, but installing a 15 Amp rated socket isn't that difficult if necessary). If you're going to be driving between campgrounds while charging for the up to 7 hours it could take to fully charge a Rad battery, that shouldn't put too much strain on a modern vehicle with a fairly robust electrical system, but may push the limits of some economy cars.

If you end up only driving a couple of hours between campgrounds, it wouldn't be a good idea to plan on letting the inverter draw 12  Amps from the battery of a non-running car for the up to 5 or so hours it could take to finish the charge. You could run the engine at a slightly boosted idle to finish, but that might not be good for your vehicle and some modern ones might actually protest.

The smallest Honda Inverter Generator is rated at 1000 Watts, can be found for less than $1000, would do the job, but you may not be allowed to run it in some more rustic non-RV campgrounds.

You're lucky living where you do, I would really love to ride that trail, particularly the Myra Canyon trestle section!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:59:52 PM by RadJohn »

JBLee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 04:05:11 PM »
Maybe something like this?

DOKIO 300W 18V Portable Solar Panel Kit (ONLY 0.9in Thick) Folding Solar Charger with 2 USB Outputs for 12v Batteries/Power Station AGM LiFePo4 RV Camping Trailer Car Marine https://a.co/d/gS48ZbL

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 04:05:11 PM »