Author Topic: Radmini headset loose?  (Read 5636 times)

steevwatson

• View Profile
Radmini headset loose?
« on: February 20, 2021, 03:42:16 AM »
Hi
My partner has asked me to have a look at her radmini. It's makeing a knocking or creaking nose from somewhere along the forks or headset. I thought at first it could be s cable knocking or a loose bolt. I've made sure everything is tightened and cables are not rubbing.
My next thought is it could be the headset but I'm not sure I've attached a video below if anyone can help identify the problem. If it is the headset how do I go about tightening it and checking it being loose hasn't damaged the bearings?
Thankshttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/6030f58442565/rattle_Full%20HD%201080p.mp4

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Re: Radmini headset loose?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:04:15 AM »
That does not sound good. I posted quite a while ago about a safety issue that was posted by rad  for the mini 4

https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048658454-Technical-Bulletin-RadMini-Stem-Riser-Clamp-Bolt-Tightening-Guide

I'm not sure this article will help but it's worth a quick look through. Please post your findings because I am very curious about that crazy sound.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:12:34 AM by Veggyhed »

steevwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:20:37 PM »
That does not sound good. I posted quite a while ago about a safety issue that was posted by rad  for the mini 4

https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048658454-Technical-Bulletin-RadMini-Stem-Riser-Clamp-Bolt-Tightening-Guide

I'm not sure this article will help but it's worth a quick look through. Please post your findings because I am very curious about that crazy sound.

I got the email about that months ago. I checked both my mini and my partner's at the time. No movement in the handlebars.

Things have gotten even more interesting. My partner had mentioned the noise to a guy at work who has bikes. He offered to have a look. It looks like he thought it was the headset the same as me. I folded the handlebars down and went to adjust the top cap bolt and it came straight out. It looks like he's maybe overtightened the bolt and pulled the threaded part right out of the star nut so I definitely need to replace that.

The video I posted was taken before he tried to fix it however so not sure if replacing the star nut and tightening everything up will help or not but I'll report back.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:55:02 PM »
I think just for safety and a bit of curiosity I would rebuild the headset.

steevwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 01:07:11 AM »
I think just for safety and a bit of curiosity I would rebuild the headset.

Great minds think alike. I've taken the top and bottom bearings out. Glad I did cos the guy had both sets of bearings somehow stuffed into the top.

I've checked the parts doesn't seem to be any damage. I've left the crown race on the fork and the top and bottom cups on the frame as I don't have the tools to remove and press back on. They seem to be in good condition tho.

steevwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »
Quick update. I've replaced the star nut cleaned and lubed the bearings and put everything back together.

The knocking is still there. It looks like the steerer tube is only about 2mm from the top of the headset so when the topcap is tightened it touches the steerer tube before it is tight enough. I'll grab another spacer tomorrow and give that a try.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 03:59:52 AM »
So the spacer was damaged?
There was something I read on Rad's website sometime last year about the headset. But I think it was in relation to the folding mechanism. Unfortunately I'm not where I can look that up right now.

steevwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:25:23 AM »
Hi no the original spacer and all the headset components look to be fine apart from the star nut that I replaced. I wonder if the steerer tube has always been slightly too long and it's just taken a while for my partner to notice the noise. I'll maybe check to see if it's any different on my mini.

I can vaguely remember there being an article about an older version of the Mini possibly a step through where they all needed a larger spacer. Also there is another one for this version where Rad were asking everyone to check how tight the stem bolts were as some were loose causing the handlebars to move.

Muskie 1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 01:27:52 PM »
 My regret is buying it, same noise, after a week of video and photos no solution.
  Assembly day sucked, brake cables not set in calipers. Head tube is so loud. Lock out for the suspension rattled bad, filled with metal shavings.
 I know own a useless bike, minimal support.

JimL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »
That video sounds like mine did when the front wheel bearings were flaking.  You hear and feel it in the handlebars.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »