News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Input needed! E bike that can handle hills?

Started by mainelobstah, June 18, 2020, 11:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mainelobstah

I'm looking for a bike to ride around locally. Do things like ride the farmer's market, maybe some leisurely rides in addition to errands. Possibly commute to work, if that ever becomes a thing again. Also the bike needs to carry a 5yo (even better if my 2yo also fits).

I live in Seattle and there are some steep hills in my neighborhood. I'm a 140lb woman. With a kid or two in tow, what kind of bike would I need that could sufficiently help me up hills? I don't mind pedaling, but I don't want to be a sweaty mess and tired.

I'm mostly interested in:
Rad runner
Rad wagon (but it looks like it might be overkill)
Wing freedom
Vanmoof S3
And maybe juiced scorpion

Aesthetic does matter to me and my budget is about $1500, but potentially could go up close to $2k. I love the vanmoof, but it doesn't seem as relaxed and versatile as something like Rad bikes.

Would love your thoughts for an e bike newbie!

fin_rad

For me the Radwagon's 750W rear hub motor would be the thing. Also its capability to carry even 2 kids on the rear rack. Or any other stuff. Clearly a good choice for replacing the car. :)

That Vanmoof S3 looks very interesting though.

Ryan

Sounds like you need the minivan of ebikes, aka the RadWagon. We do all of those things you mentioned with our 2018 RadWagon, never regretted it once. The RadRunner Plus might also work as opposed to the RadRunner 1 since it sounds like you'll be dealing with lots of hills. The compatibility with the Thule Yepp Maxi seat on the Rad models (check out my YouTube channel for the video) is awesome depending on the age of your kiddos. Of course they can sit on the back as well. If you're looking at hauling anything it's not really worth considering the other models you listed. Now if you were just commuting and doing some light grocery shopping some of the other models could work. Hope this helps!