News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadWagon 3 (2019) controller replacement options

Started by droppedd, May 20, 2023, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

droppedd

I have a 2019 Radwagon that has had intermittent power drop issues. Rad sent me a replacement controller last year, but I only got around to installing it last week... turns out they sent me a Wagon 4 controller, which just doesn't work on the 3.

Support from Rad has been unresponsive for over a week, and their phone and chat support doesn't exist any more, so it seems like I'm on my own here.

Also looks like Bolton doesn't exist any more or I'd pick one of their controllers up; other options I've found only work on models up to 2018... any other source out there for first or third party controllers compatible with the 2019 Wagon?

Even further longshot option: Anyone get a Bolton controller and have a spare original working 2019 Radwagon controller they'd be willing to sell?

santacruzpaul

Quote from: droppedd on May 20, 2023, 07:36:36 AM
I have a 2019 Radwagon that has had intermittent power drop issues. Rad sent me a replacement controller last year, but I only got around to installing it last week... turns out they sent me a Wagon 4 controller, which just doesn't work on the 3.

Support from Rad has been unresponsive for over a week, and their phone and chat support doesn't exist any more, so it seems like I'm on my own here.

Also looks like Bolton doesn't exist any more or I'd pick one of their controllers up; other options I've found only work on models up to 2018... any other source out there for first or third party controllers compatible with the 2019 Wagon?

Even further longshot option: Anyone get a Bolton controller and have a spare original working 2019 Radwagon controller they'd be willing to sell?

Try the area 13 website below, Bolton recently changed their name and website, They have been helpful and knowledgable in the past for me,

https://area13ebikes.com

droppedd

Quote from: santacruzpaul on May 20, 2023, 08:29:22 AM
Try the area 13 website below, Bolton recently changed their name and website, They have been helpful and knowledgable in the past for me,

https://area13ebikes.com

Thanks! I wasn't sure it was the same company. Their replacement controller says about Wagon compatibility, "Untested, but customers have reported it works well. Setting adjustments may be required. Controller may not fit correctly. Additional mounting hardware may be required." - which isn't exactly confidence-inspiring, but may be the best option. My big hesitation is a total lack of forum posts or youtube videos showing what settings would actually work on the Radwagon 3; I already know it's drastically different than the 4 since the RW4 controller Rad sent is totally spastic hooked up to the RW3 :)

JimInPT

To get visibility for an settings answer, you might try posting a subject line something like "What are your settings for 35A controller upgrade on a RadWagon 3?"

Something that specific might just rope in somebody who's been down your road.  In any case, the settings may be different for the RW3, but since it uses the same motor as others of that era, you might only have to change wheel diameter and a couple other tweaks - I doubt you'll have a radically-wrong setup as default, but a little tweaking to suit individual preferences is expected, as I did with my controller upgrade on my MiniST2. 
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.