Author Topic: Clanking noise when pedaling  (Read 5475 times)

RobtRoma

• View Profile
Clanking noise when pedaling
« on: June 30, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »
I have a RadRover 5 HS that was delivered near the end of April 2021.  It has about 120-130 miles on it.  At about 90-100 miles, I started hearing a clank noise (metal on metal sound) coming from what seems like the front crank.  The noise happens near the the bottom of the downstroke of the left pedal.  It is louder when pushing harder (ie - pedaling uphill) and can be barely noticeable pedaling downhill.  I also can feel it very lightly in my left foot when it happens.  Good thing about it is people know I'm coming!   ???

I know this is not a "good" noise so I need to get it fixed ASAP.  I've checked the cranks to make sure they are on tight.  I looked for any play in the drivetrain and can't feel any using my hands to turn the crank.  Research seems to indicate a loose bottom bracket, but again, I don't feel any noticeable wiggle or play while riding or when I looked closely at it.  One article I read said this is a common problem in new bikes as manufacturers don't want to over tighten these brackets at the factory because there isn't much room for error if it is overtightened. 

Any other thoughts on what this might be before I look even closer?  Thanks in advance!

smccormally

• View Profile
Re: Clanking noise when pedaling
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »
I have what sounds like a similar issue, although I can only hear (and feel!) the click when I'm really pedaling hard, ie up hill with kids on the back.

A mechanic friend noted the bottom bracket was loose, and tightening the bracket helped at first, but the click has returned even as the bracket has stayed tight. I assume this is broken bottom bracket.

The mechanic-friend told me likely the problem was either:

1) The bottom bracket shell had ovalized in the manufacturing process (unfixable but not fatal for using the bike), or
2) The bracket is a lemon--perhaps a ball bearing exploded or something.

I have also been advised by two different mechanics that the problem is not going to result in any damage to the rest of the bike, which, good!

Curious to hear if others have had success addressing any similar problems by replacing the bottom bracket.

smccormally

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »
Oh, should have mentioned: I have a Radwagon 4 that I got in January.

RobtRoma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the input.  It would really suck if the bracket “ovalized”.  It was fine for the first 90 miles or so, so I’m hoping it just needs to be tightened.  I have one local bike shop that says it’s willing to work on e-bikes.  Hoping I can get an appointment with them soon and get it fixed.  Good to know it won’t do damage to the rest of the bike.

I did open a ticket with Rad last week, Wednesday I think.  Haven’t heard a peep from them but I know they are having growing pains.  It took them 5 or 6 days to reply to a question I asked about when my bike would ship.  I asked the question the the morning my bike shipped (before I was notified) and didn’t get a reply until after I received the bike 6 days later.  I hope they can get their act together soon…

RobtRoma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 11:04:07 AM »
Heard back from RAD.  They wanted me to send a video so I did last week.  Haven't heard back yet.  Seems like it takes 5-6 business days before they reply to emails.  I want to bring it to a local shop for repair but I feel like this is something I shouldn't have to pay for since the bike is 3 months old and has only 130 miles on it.  Hoping CS will give me an allowance to have it fixed.

RobtRoma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 10:28:21 PM »
Heard back from Rad.  They said they couldn’t view my video and recommended I take the Rover to a local bike shop since I live outside their service area.  They recommended REI and two shops in NYC.  REI won’t work on hub motor bikes according to a fellow I spoke with before I purchased the Rad.  As for the NYC shops… I’m not a fan of going into the city between the cost of the bridge, parking issues and cost of services.

I ended up finding a local shop 3 1/2 miles away from my home willing to work on my bike.  They initially couldn’t replicate the noise and just did a tune up I asked for and tightened the crank hub/bracket.  They said the hub was not loose to begin with so they thought it was the rear derailleur because it was way out of spec.   They told me it was fixed but when I tried it I noticed the noise was still there.  The tech took it for a spin after I returned from my test ride.  This time he heard the issue.   He said when he did his initial ride, he used the battery and thought that might have prevented the noise from happening.

Anyway… They decided to keep the bike another day and try again in the morning.  I had a dream that night that I was working on the bike and the front crank hub needed lube.  I remembered looking for the nipple to attach a lube gun to.  Does that age me a bit?  It was a quick dream.  I know… dreaming about lube and nipples… insert jokes below  ;D

Well… Guess what it turned out to be.  There was no lubricant in the front hub at all.  The tech said he took it apart and it was bone dry inside.  Then he said he lubed everything up and reassembled and the noise went away.  I confirmed this with my test ride and my ride home.  No more clank.

The cost for the repair was $48.  The cost for the tuneup was $85.  I’m trying to see if Rad will pay the $48 for the repair.  I think that is only fair as it should be considered warranty work.  Fingers crossed…
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:38:11 AM by RobtRoma »

Suade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »
I have a 2018 Rad City and this happens to me all the time. Today I finally added some blue locktite. I'm sick of fixing it. I have 575 miles and it's done it 3 times. The crank-set is loosening up. You need a special tool to take the crank arm off and tighten it. I bought this one and it did the trick. https://amzn.to/2WnbYdQ . It's really simple to fix. It will get progressively louder until you can feel play in the crank with your hands if you rock it by holding both pedals. My guess is when your guy tightened the crankset on yours it felt almost fully tight to him and when you rode it the problem more or less went away. It's doesn't need to loosen much to get play and to feel it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:05:23 PM by Suade »

RadishOnWheels

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
I’m a bit confused, could you clarify something for me. You mention your crank and front hub a couple of times and others have written about the bottom bracket. You are talking about the bottom bracket that your pedal cranks are attached to right? So the bike mechanic found the bottom bracket to be completely dry? If not, are you talking about the front wheel axle bearings when you say front hub? Please clarify. I’m a novice and some of this was unclear to me. Thanks, I appreciate it. JA

RobtRoma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 09:27:25 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  I’m talking about the tubular area where the pedal cranks are attached.  I’ve been riding bicycles forever but never did much work on them so I never learned the proper terminology.  I read it as a “bracket” when I did research online.  I thought the tech that worked on my bike called it a hub so I added that to my description.  And yes, the tech said it was “bone dry” in there.

I’m a bit confused, could you clarify something for me. You mention your crank and front hub a couple of times and others have written about the bottom bracket. You are talking about the bottom bracket that your pedal cranks are attached to right? So the bike mechanic found the bottom bracket to be completely dry? If not, are you talking about the front wheel axle bearings when you say front hub? Please clarify. I’m a novice and some of this was unclear to me. Thanks, I appreciate it. JA
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 09:42:51 PM by RobtRoma »

RobtRoma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 09:41:45 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate your insight and reply.  That’s what I initially read when I did my research on the noise.  The tech said it was tight the first time he checked it.  He said he even tried tightening it more.  It wasn’t until he added lube to the crank bracket that it stopped.  Maybe his disassembly and reassembly is what fixed it.  I don’t know for sure but I do think it is odd that the bracket was dry.

Also, thanks for the link.  I had read there was a special tool required but wasn’t sure what it was.  For $12, it sounds like a good investment for my bike tool kit.

I have a 2018 Rad City and this happens to me all the time. Today I finally added some blue locktite. I'm sick of fixing it. I have 575 miles and it's done it 3 times. The crank-set is loosening up. You need a special tool to take the crank arm off and tighten it. I bought this one and it did the trick. https://amzn.to/2WnbYdQ . It's really simple to fix. It will get progressively louder until you can feel play in the crank with your hands if you rock it by holding both pedals. My guess is when your guy tightened the crankset on yours it felt almost fully tight to him and when you rode it the problem more or less went away. It's doesn't need to loosen much to get play and to feel it.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 09:00:33 AM »
I suspect I have a failed bearing in my bottom bracket as well. I makes a crunch noise, mostly on the right pedal. I checked the crank arms for tightness, swapped pedals and the noise is still there. I'll get around to pulling it apart soon and see what failed. Still usable but its getting louder. No play in the cranks yet.

RobtRoma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »
Sorry to hear.  Hope it's nothing too serious.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I suspect I have a failed bearing in my bottom bracket as well. I makes a crunch noise, mostly on the right pedal. I checked the crank arms for tightness, swapped pedals and the noise is still there. I'll get around to pulling it apart soon and see what failed. Still usable but its getting louder. No play in the cranks yet.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »