News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New runner. Odd sound

Started by Therooke, May 08, 2022, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Therooke

Hi there. Had my bike for just over a month and noticed a sound in the rear.  Nothing is rubbing and it still does it when I remove the rear break.  It's a high pitched squeak. Not really a grinding sound at all.  It does it even with the slightest movement even.  I can rock the rear wheel like a DJ and it does it even.  At first I thought it was just the break rubbing after I slightly adjusted the free movement at the handle.  But it wasn't that at all.  Do E bikes normally make noise or do they spin quiet?  Should I be at all concerned? 

Radio Runner

Sometimes the rubber hub bearing seals can do that. Hard to diagnose online but that my 1st idea.

Therooke

It is a squeaky rubber sound. I was going to say that in my post. But the as the tire is not rubbing on anything I didn't say that.  Is it normal?  Or should they have lube on them so they don't tear or melt from the friction?  Thanks

JimInPT

This might be the same squeak-squeak problem I had with the front wheel of my MiniST - Rad support helped me diagnose and fix it over the phone.  It correlated with wheel rotation but not application of the brake, or not.

As Radio Runner said, there is a rubber bearing seal on the outside of the wheel to keep dust and gunk out of the wheel bearing - it lightly rides on the brake disc as I recall and looks like a little black coolie hat, sort of truncated-conical.  Rad had me apply a tiny bit of light oil under the lip of that seal and rotate the tire to distribute the oil - problem solved and hasn't returned!

Just a very tiny bit of oil is all it takes, the smallest amount you can apply with a fingertip - you don't want to get excess oil near your brake system. 

Hope this does the trick for you.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Therooke

Thanks all.  I'll give that a whirl and see if it kills the noise