News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Carrying my Rad 6’s in my truck bed

Started by Henny, January 24, 2022, 08:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Henny

We bought 2 Rad 6 plus bikes, and plan on taking them with us on our summer travels. We pull a 32' trailer which has a rear bumper welded to the frame, but because of the bike weight, I'm very hesitant to use a number mount rack. That leaves the truck bed. I would like to hear from truck owners what they use to secure their bikes in the bed!
Thanks!

PapaJean

Hi there!  We have the same questions as we have a 30 ft travel trailer and F250 crew cab truck. Another thought is to carry the bikes in the rear seat area with the seat up.  We'd remove the front tire and pedals.

Gecko

Quote from: Henny on January 24, 2022, 08:28:08 AM
We bought 2 Rad 6 plus bikes, and plan on taking them with us on our summer travels. We pull a 32' trailer which has a rear bumper welded to the frame, but because of the bike weight, I'm very hesitant to use a number mount rack. That leaves the truck bed. I would like to hear from truck owners what they use to secure their bikes in the bed!
Thanks!
Not a problem at all (assuming you have the clearance in the bed - you didn't say whether the trailer is a fifth-wheel).  If there is room, make a simple rack out of 2X4s to keep the tires from slipping sideways and use lightweight straps to hold the bikes upright.  At eighty pounds they don't need to be heavy ratcheting ones; I've used fairly light ones with a motorcycle with no problem.  With both wheels held in place you can get by with straps to the handlebars only, but you can add one to the seat post if makes you more comfortable.

CEHansen

I have a nearly identical setup. I pull a vintage airstream with an f150 crew cab. Historically I have traveled with a Honda Trail CB110 but now my RadRunner2 is doing the job. I have a 10ft folding aluminum ramp I bought on Amazon for $140 that the RR will climb under its own power. Four ropes or web straps to guy it in place. Just enough room to close the tailgate. Easy Peasy!

Posio3