News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Tires and Slime

Started by butterflycl, October 01, 2021, 04:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

butterflycl

Hi,
I am new here...have had a RadRunner plus for less than a week and have a flat. I came across an older post "delicate tires" where Slime is recommended.  Looks like it works well.  My question is, how do you know how much to put in and when you have reached that amount when emptying from a 16oz bottle.  Thank you!  Appreciate that this forum exists! 

JimInPT

The tires on your RR+ are approximately the same size/volume as those on my MiniST - that's the biggest factor, I think.  I bought two 8oz bottles of Slime and used one on the two tires - 4 oz in each tire as I've seen recommended several places; that's quite a good amount and should be plenty.  So if it were me, I'd use 1/4 of your 16oz bottle in each tire.  For the big fat-tire bikes with 26-29" wheels, it'd probably be 6-8oz each.

I've had no problems with my tires in 350+ miles, riding pavement, packed-earth easy trails, roots and gravel with some thorned berry-bush branches, but Slimed 'em soon after purchase as cheap insurance.  I don't think it's sealed any punctures (no green visible on the tires), but I can easily go 2-3 weeks without losing more than 1 psi of pressure, so perhaps it's helped seal up little microleaks - dunno.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

butterflycl

Thank you!  I put about 4 oz in the flat tube after removing a staple and it seems to be sealing it!  I did have the same thought as you...put it in the other tire as well, as insurance.  From what I understand, the slime does not ever harden so it will not ruin the actual tire.  Do you know anything else about this?  Thanks again!

JimInPT

Quote from: butterflycl on October 04, 2021, 05:59:06 AM
Thank you!  I put about 4 oz in the flat tube after removing a staple and it seems to be sealing it!  I did have the same thought as you...put it in the other tire as well, as insurance.  From what I understand, the slime does not ever harden so it will not ruin the actual tire.  Do you know anything else about this?  Thanks again!

I've heard people say it should be refreshed/replaced after 18-24 months, but like you I don't see how it can dry out or diminish unless there's a significant leak, so I'm just going to play it by ear because I don't wish to just keep adding more, and don't want the hassle and mess of trying to remove it from the tube and replacement.  I have another 8oz bottle at the ready if needed.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.