Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded their Radrunner Plus motor?  (Read 13331 times)

Groffice

• View Profile
Has anyone upgraded their Radrunner Plus motor?
« on: March 09, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
I ask because I tried to this weekend and it seems the motor on the RR Plus is a different motor than the other models in that the cable exits the motor on the brake side and not the gear side.

This makes the replacement 750 watt Bafang motor I bought incompatible with the stock setup.

Can't wait to hear from you Rad dudes!

elmo1888

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone upgraded their Radrunner Plus motor?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
Yes, it looks that way.  Just got my RR+ a few weeks ago and the motor I ordered won't work.  But just the controller upgrade made a huge difference already.

robzkombi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 05:32:05 AM »
Yes, it looks that way.  Just got my RR+ a few weeks ago and the motor I ordered won't work.  But just the controller upgrade made a huge difference already.
This controller upgrade you speak of, what does it improve? and what company did you buy from?

elmo1888

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:05:22 AM »
This controller upgrade you speak of, what does it improve? and what company did you buy from?

The Bolton 35A controller.  It delivers about 2.5x the power to the motor.

robzkombi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 06:46:52 AM »
Ohhh 2.5x, nice. Looks like I will be making a future purchase from Bolton.

We went out on a couple of rides this past weekend and for some reason the Rover 5's seem to be faster. My son and his friend where on the Rover 5's and I was on the Runner Plus and they would just fly by me..I went into the settings and the wheel diameter that was selected was at 22 and not 20. I wonder how this selection affects the speed of this bike.  Gonna call Rad Power later today and see what they say.

Thanks for the info on the controller!

Just checked with Bolton and the upgrade kit is out of stock. Hope they stock 'em up soon.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 06:52:22 AM by robzkombi »

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 10:38:46 AM »
Wheel size measured the diameter of the tyre and the wheel, so even if the RR has a 20" wheel, it's closer to a 24" total outside diameter. A different setting will cause the speedometer an odometer to under/over read.

The stock RR controller is good for about 19A continuous output, or about 350W, the Rover outputs closer to 750W. 

robzkombi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 08:03:56 AM »
That makes sense. If I remember correctly I believe the settings on our Rover 5 one was set at 26 and the other at 28. This weekend I'll compare speed with GPS and see what setting is best. 

On another note, I just ordered the 35A controller for the Runner Plus, I hope there is a noticeable difference, if there is then I'll go ahead and replace the controllers on all our bikes.

Hbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:32 PM »
Will this motor found in Ali express be compatible with the radrunner  plus? Looks like the wire exits in the brake side.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001307992593.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:25:54 PM by Hbomb »

chrias

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 07:51:09 AM »
Will this motor found in Ali express be compatible with the radrunner  plus? Looks like the wire exits in the brake side.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001307992593.html

That is a 1000w motor and I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the 500w/750w casing.

chrias

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »

It will greatly improve the torque of the RR+. You will get across the intersection quicker on full throttle and it's hill climbing abilities will be effortless.

JoseM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 06:28:41 AM »
Hey all! Do you have a link to what you purchased? Im on bolton now and its likely out of stock but the only one that specifies Rad is the one WITHOUT the taillight function. However, I believe biggamebikes has solved that problem already.
Most chatter on this topic is about a year old, so im sure there's some new stuff by now.
anyway, just looking to get the most out of my runner plus and I want to make sure I buy the right kit
much appreciated!

JoseM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »
I actually did this, also found the same problem as the 750 motor isn't compatible.
So I purchased from Eunorau 48v 1000W Bafang motor with the cable on the rotor side. (the same motor linked earlier in the thread RM G062.1000.D)

I was about to begin my install and realized the "1000W" is smaller then the 750W motor I just attempted to install. Any insight on this? its similar to the stock rad motor In size and perhaps just peaks at 1000w?
Anyway I went down a rabbit hole and ended up trying to install the 750W motor with the 1000W motor housing, had to nip and tuck some wires. Ultimately, the 750 W motor spun backwards. Which I anticipated, however after reading some forums I was under the impression I could swap any two of the larger wires inside the connector and it would reverse the direction. That didn't work.
So basically we scrapped the whole project, luckily I never touched my stock motor. So who cares right?

IM back to square one and im thinking of purchasing the 1000W motor AGAIN and trying just to swap the internals. As I mentioned they are small enough, it should fit into the existing housing. But im going to take a break from failed projects for a couple days do some reading and most likely attempt to install the 1000W motor I already have. (except I cut off the connector to use on the 750w motor, that will have to be addressed)

Long story short, why is the 1000W smaller then the 750W? Does that matter?
If there's a possibity I was wrong and the 1000W Bafang motor is indeed a true 1000W ill gladly fix it and try again or purchase a new one.
It just seems unlikely as the technology looks the same, and its significantly smaller then the 750.

excuse me for being long winded.

RogueBolo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 05:17:56 PM »
Long story short, why is the 1000W smaller then the 750W? Does that matter?
If there's a possibity I was wrong and the 1000W Bafang motor is indeed a true 1000W ill gladly fix it and try again or purchase a new one.
It just seems unlikely as the technology looks the same, and its significantly smaller then the 750.

excuse me for being long winded.
If stock housing and the 1000W innards physically fit together it is worth trying again, it is a much better motor. I ran one on a Rover until I switched to a Runner Plus recently. More torque and RPM than the stock Runner motor and it is rated to 1000W continuous.

RogueBolo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »
I switched out the wheelset to the Bafang G0F0.750.DC. https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/components/component/motor/rm-g0f05007501000ddc/

The rims are a bit wider I assume more like a mini, the stock tires are more low profile than stock now.  Using the EggRider to open up the stock controller I've been able to easily reach 28.5 mph including while going up a modest hill. The wheels are as true, as true can be and have no wobble or vibration at speed. The built-in speed limiting of the stock controller is preventing me from going faster. I can reach 30 mph pedaling hard but the power drops as I get nearer to 30.  Unloaded wheel off the group max speed is 30 mph with both 48v and 52V batteries. I am going to be trying out some different controllers shortly to free up the trapped speed.

The new motor did cause the stock display to have problems measuring speed. The EggRider switched to Rx/Tx reverse mode to compensate.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 06:15:39 PM by RogueBolo »

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
Wow, I really like those wheels. Going to have to do some research to see if they will fit the RR1.

Nice upgrade!!!!

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »