News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Who rides in the rain?

Started by jbfoster, October 22, 2020, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jbfoster

I am still undecided if I should ride in the rain. Iv'e read where some do and don't have any issues and other have rode in the rain and get a error code.

I ordered some dielectric grease to seal all the connections. I got some ear covers for my turn signal remote and display remote. Still working on something for the display. I ordered a shower cap to see how well that works. What about the battery and controller? are they water proof or should I cover them?

Anything else I am missing? I will ride in a light rain. Not sure if I should in a heavy down pour.

Thanks
Jim

https://amzn.to/34vkwkG

https://amzn.to/35KEqro

Altema

I've had no problems riding in the rain. The first time it was by accident, but last week it started raining a few minutes after I left, and I kept going for a good hour in steady rain. I've done no prep to the bike and it wasn't affected at all, though I did dry it off when I got back home. The internal components of the controller are dipped in epoxy or some other sealant. As long as the bike is not submerged in water, you should be ok according to Rad, and that's been my experience.

surfer8210

Pull the battery out of the tray when you're finished riding.
Water can collect at the bottom of the tray and cause issues.
Make sure to dry that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan

We've been caught in the rain and snow several times. No issues so far, just good to dry the bike down when you get home. I also like to have a tarp stashed on the bike when I'm locking the bike up. We used to put this underneath our milk crate which did double duty of protecting the frame as well. That way if it does downpour I have a way to cover the bike.

Doctor_They

I don't cover anything up.  I remove the battery and dry off the connections afterwards.

Altema

A couple days ago I took a 7 mile ride in steady rain, and today I took a 15 mile ride on wet trails with occasional mud and standing water.
This is with an aftermarket controller, and the bike was so muddy that I took out the hose and sprayer, and washed the bike. One thing different on this trip was I had a battery cover to keep muck and water out of the nooks and crannies of the battery bracket, and I'm happy to report it worked VERY well!

FortunatelyTheMilk

Loving on the west coast of Ireland, eventually you'll get caught in the rain. I've managed to get some condensation into the display, and I taped over the seams of the controller case, but other than that, I haven't had to do much. I spent more effort waterproofing myself than I did the bike. I keep a pair of waterproofs in the bag all the time, just in case!