Author Topic: Question regarding running dual battery packs  (Read 3248 times)

RadWagMarv

• View Profile
Question regarding running dual battery packs
« on: June 26, 2021, 07:26:06 PM »
I have a RadWagon on it's way to me. As batteries (along with other parts) becomes more readily available, I plan on running 2 battery packs to extend the range of the bike.

Question, I am regulated to purchasing a 48V aftermarket battery if I plan on using the OEM battery (since it is 48V) or can I safely use a 52V battery pack in conjuntion?

This is provided I upgrade the controller and purchase the associated connectors as well.

Thanks.

fin_rad

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding running dual battery packs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
There are solutions like this available, not sure how good they really work in real:
https://youtu.be/pvumfnCff10

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 02:13:24 AM »
You can run different  voltage batteries together with a device like that. I would use such a device even with identical batteries, and not simply wire them in parallel, for the reasons given in the video.

RadWagMarv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 06:32:05 AM »
Thank you both and for the component reference.

I know LiPo systems are not something to taken lightly and can be dangerous if not handled properly.

nafis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
I just carry a spare battery on the bike rack. I designed / 3D printed an adapter that mounts the battery on the rack ( https://youtu.be/5yk3gQ04PdQ ). When the first battery is low, I just switch them. No fancy cables or electronics :-)
(although if you have a place to bring a solar panel, you can be charging the spare battery while you ride: https://youtu.be/CRZOvl0v_YE )

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 05:17:44 PM »
The Datex2 is a good unit, and it's counterpart in the US is the Battery Blender sold by Spark Cycleworks.
They seem to be the same, and they both accept power from the highest voltage battery, and then any other batteries when their voltage matches. I had one, but gave it back only because the amperage did not match my controller needs. It works well and eliminates having to manually match battery voltages.

lizard32

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
Battery Blender is the same device as Datex2 made by Datex.   Datex is the real deal.  You have to make sure your bike is not sending regen back to the battery.  Datex2 currently does not support that configuration

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »