Author Topic: Best way to carry a Rad bike  (Read 4548 times)

Miller

• View Profile
Best way to carry a Rad bike
« on: April 23, 2021, 02:11:47 PM »
Hello, all, I’d like to know how most of you carry your Rad bike on your car. I have found the bike carriers that will handle the weight to be outrageous in price and not many of them. I’ve got my Radrunner Plus fitted to a 60” utility bar tray but it’s still more cumbersome than I’d like. I’m going to add a picture and any suggestions would be appreciated.
75yo cyclist for 30+ years. Loving my Radrunner plus. Hope to find some mods I want like where best to put a mirror and hand panniers.

surfer8210

• View Profile
Re: Best way to carry a Rad bike
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:13 PM »
Northern Tool has the Ultra Tow double bike carrier (can be converted to single) for $159.
Great beast of a rack, was on sale recently for $129.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JESimmons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »
Harbor Freight has a motorcycle carrier that would support the weight. It’s around $160US and at times on sale.

vudude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 02:33:04 AM »
I'm using a $100 U-Haul bike rack with 85# capacity carrying one Mini. Had to make some mods to make it work, anyway I now cruise the trail parking lots to see what others are using. Recently seen this pretty unique design: https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/   

Russ61

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »
I ride my Rover recreationally (vs commuting, shopping, etc.), thus I often (several times/week) load it up to take to another area to ride, usually off road but sometimes along bikeways. Thus I'm FREQUENTLY loading/unloading the bike. I looked at everything including Rad's reselling of the Hollywood rack but opted for the Kuat NV2.0 rack. I also added the Kuat Pivot v2 that allows me to use the rack (with or without bikes) on either my minivan or RV w/ rear barn doors.....GREAT setup. Because the Kuat has a wide "track"/rail, it is relatively easy to lift the front wheel up onto the track, roll it forward as you lift the back end, and just guide it into the front wheel tray.....you're only lifting effectively 30 lbs rather than the full 60+ which I did several times before figuring out the smarter way! Kuat (and others like Hollywood, Thule, Yakima, Rocky Mtn, etc.) are not inexpensive, but I rationalized it over the # of times I use it and how much more ergonomically efficient it is....and worth it's price. They also have a lifetime warranty. I'd buy it again!

Re the 1 Up USA racks, they came out after I bought mine. I was initiallly impressed by them and they get some strong reviews, but be forewarned that they appear to NOT be friendly toward bikes w/ fenders, ie they use 2 arms that clamp on the 2 tires. The 1 on the front tire is probably okay, but the rear fender typically comes down lower and therefore presents a problem re securely holding the rear wheel to the rack IMO. If you don't have (or plan on getting) fenders, then that shouldn't be an issue. Where I live (PNW), one virtually MUST have fenders.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:11:18 PM by Russ61 »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »