Author Topic: 42mph Rhino  (Read 5270 times)

JTK77

• View Profile
42mph Rhino
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:54:10 AM »
This "slightly" modified beast does 42 mph on level ground. Speed is plentiful so PAS 3 is often the most used assist level at speeds of 30-35 mph. Torque is enough (for accidental wheelies  ;D).

Tony

• View Profile
Re: 42mph Rhino
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
That’s impressive.

nate427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 08:02:16 AM »
Is that with the stock motor? What exactly did you do to modify it?

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 08:59:05 AM »
Is that with the stock motor? What exactly did you do to modify it?

2017 Rad Rhino (/Rover).
60v 24Ah 120A BMS (continous) lockable downtube custom battery.
45A sine save controller.
Vented G062.1000.DC motor.
100mm Air fork.
Magura MT5e f223/r203 (Galfer) brakes.
52t chainring 8 speed trigger shifter 11-42t cassette.
780mm Rad Devil Riser handlebar with full grips, thump throttle, fork remote lockout.
Custom Kydex "carbon" skid Plate.
+ Other mods & parts.
42mph ~3 kW.

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:52:04 PM »
Wow that's a bit fast for me on a bike.

Jim

netjamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »
I want one like that.. the wheelie thing got me!

natchezz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 04:27:23 AM »
THAT is a great looking, might I say “bad a$$”, bike!  8)

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »
Nice! I use the same motor, but the smaller wheel son the RadMini means a lower top speed. It still gets me an honest 30 - 32mph, but I've done 35mph in the tuck position to reduce wind resistance.

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 11:39:30 PM »
Nice! I use the same motor, but the smaller wheel son the RadMini means a lower top speed. It still gets me an honest 30 - 32mph, but I've done 35mph in the tuck position to reduce wind resistance.

The motor is quite awesome for its size 🙂. I did add some vents on both side cover to further improve cooling (+generous greasing with SHC100).
Runs nicely and not too hot with 60v 48A (~3100w Max).

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 08:50:27 PM »

The motor is quite awesome for its size 🙂. I did add some vents on both side cover to further improve cooling (+generous greasing with SHC100).
Wow, 3100 watts? I know Bafang builds some overhead in, but that's a lot!
I have mine limited to 2000w until I get comfortable. I was going to take the peak up to 2400 soon, but am considering using Statoraid for cooling instead of vents since I sometimes ride in the rain. It currently peaks at 2045w with 52 volts, but I get a solid 32mph with 30amps of field weakening. Did you add a thermistor to the motor?

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »

Wow, 3100 watts? I know Bafang builds some overhead in, but that's a lot!
I have mine limited to 2000w until I get comfortable. I was going to take the peak up to 2400 soon, but am considering using Statoraid for cooling instead of vents since I sometimes ride in the rain. It currently peaks at 2045w with 52 volts, but I get a solid 32mph with 30amps of field weakening. Did you add a thermistor to the motor?

I know adding holes in geared hubs is not "widely recommended" but with generous greasing and yearly maintenance I decided go for it. Little waters isnt that bad but sand and dust can be. Added benefit to this approach is I can do IR temp measurement straight from the windings. I did concider adding thermistor later but haven't done that yet.
The reason why I didn't took the statorade route is because geared hubs have Air Gap between motor and casing that prevents heat from dissipating out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:08:35 PM by JTK77 »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 03:58:41 PM »
I know adding holes in geared hubs is not "widely recommended" but with generous greasing and yearly maintenance I decided go for it. Little waters isnt that bad but sand and dust can be. Added benefit to this approach is I can do IR temp measurement straight from the windings. I did concider adding thermistor later but haven't done that yet.
The reason why I didn't took the statorade route is because geared hubs have Air Gap between motor and casing that prevents heat from dissipating out.
Thanks for mentioning that, I completely forgot about the second air gap on geared motors. Makes ferrofluid kinda useless, lol.
It rains a lot where I live, then when I go to Delaware for group rides, we often go in deep loose sand. It has enough power with just the 2000 watts I'm using now, so I think 2400 watts on occasion with no vents should be ok. Either that, or I can make the holes a specific size, and plug them with caps when needed. The Phaserunner can modulate maximum power based on temperature, so I might just install a sensor and use that option.

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
Thanks for mentioning that, I completely forgot about the second air gap on geared motors. Makes ferrofluid kinda useless, lol.
It rains a lot where I live, then when I go to Delaware for group rides, we often go in deep loose sand. It has enough power with just the 2000 watts I'm using now, so I think 2400 watts on occasion with no vents should be ok. Either that, or I can make the holes a specific size, and plug them with caps when needed. The Phaserunner can modulate maximum power based on temperature, so I might just install a sensor and use that option.

Yes that power level will be ok. I did ran this motor without vents with 60v 35A for ~1000 miles without any heat problems. I know few other have done similar power levels without problem.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 06:04:05 AM »
Yes that power level will be ok. I did ran this motor without vents with 60v 35A for ~1000 miles without any heat problems. I know few other have done similar power levels without problem.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably only turn it up past 2000w for special occasions where I'm running dual batteries. Most of my batteries have a 40A BMS, so with a single 52V battery, it limits me a bit  ;)

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 09:15:49 PM »
Well I turned it up, and what a blast. With the smaller wheels on the RadMini, the torque is hilarious, and I'm getting 34mph with a modest amount of field weakening.
I had a question though: how many amps is the BMS on your battery, and do you run with a single battery or duals?

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 09:15:49 PM »