Author Topic: SR Suntour suspension for RadWagon  (Read 4035 times)

hbanquer

• View Profile
SR Suntour suspension for RadWagon
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:13:25 AM »
If you want to use the SR Suntour suspension seat post order the one with the 30.9mm seat tube.

You back the allen screw out from the existing top clamp enough to remove the seat tube the bike comes with.
Do not remove the screw all the way out. You might need to open the clamp on the larger seat tube to pull the smaller seat tube out. To instal the SR Suntour seat post grease the bottom of the SR Suntour seat post and slide it into the larger seat tube. Leave the allen screw backed out as it holds the clamp but you no longer need it as the SR Suntour seat post does not have the groove in it the the Rad supplied tube has.

At first I tried just using a Cloud 9 seat but on rough roads it still jarred my back.
I measured the RadWagon seat post diameter (30.9mm) and ordered the correct diameter seat post from SR Suntour as they have 3 diameters to choose from.
They sent the tube with the heavy spring right out - great service.

With the Cloud 9 seat,I already had and the SR Suntour suspension seat post there is little to no jarring on rough roads. At 70 years old the hardtail RadWagon was really hurting my back on our country roads and farm access. This is my farm to home transport now not my pick-up!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:53:15 PM by hbanquer »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SR Suntour suspension for RadWagon
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
Good timing! I just did this myself and did a short clip here: https://youtu.be/k_y84UwC2FU

Full video sharing how it's done coming soon  8)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »
Finally got around to finishing the video up. Here are 3 seatposts that will work with the RadWagon 4: https://youtu.be/I0h036yAjaM

eschurma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 06:38:29 AM »
It seems like they must have changed the size. I just bought a rad wagon 4, and a 30.9 seatpost and it was too big. I measured the rad inner seatpost with calipers and it’s 30.6 now.
So, I’ve ordered a new 27.2 post and a 27.2->30.6 shim to try. I’ll try to remember to update this here.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:48:29 AM »
It seems like they must have changed the size. I just bought a rad wagon 4, and a 30.9 seatpost and it was too big. I measured the rad inner seatpost with calipers and it’s 30.6 now.
So, I’ve ordered a new 27.2 post and a 27.2->30.6 shim to try. I’ll try to remember to update this here.

Thanks for letting us know. Please do let us know how it goes!

DGAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 01:22:27 PM »
Hi Eschurma,                                                                                                      8-5-21

Just got my Zoom 30.9 mm suspension seat post for my Radwagon4. It is a snug fit, but it did work.  TIP: put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and it will slide in more easily.  I tightened it up and it is all good.   Relatively inexpensive (about $30 on Amazon).  It is a simple spring, no parallel arms or articulation of any kind, but it seems to work. 

Be well, Stay well,
DGAnthony

TheOrangeWhipWagon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 01:16:27 PM »
I have the same setup - still getting sore in the saddle from long rides (20 miles +) - so I'm looking into some padded shorts.

RadJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »
...so I'm looking into some padded shorts.

If you're talking about padded cycling short OUTERWEAR, I can't help.

BUT (no pun intended), if padded cycling underwear that can be worn under anything would work for you, these are what I use on ~40 to 100 mile rides:
https://amzn.to/2WHhuIF

They run true to size, have proved quite durable (I have 20+ rides on mine) and I wear them under jeans because I ride through brush and fall down a lot.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:21:07 PM by Ryan »

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 09:50:12 AM »
Hi all, wanted to update my seat post for the RW4. Stock seat post was an inch or 2 short for my legs. Purchased a 30.9 x 350mm post/spring on Amazon for $30. It was a little chilly in my garage and the new post slid snuggly into the first post, stock saddle also fit post perfectly, and everything locked down with no problems.

Little cold in Chicago now, but will get on the bike for a few miles when we get a break. If any changes/problems, I will update.

Thanks.

Be well.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 09:50:12 AM »