News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Replacement Kickstand for Rad Runner

Started by waerola, May 15, 2021, 05:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

waerola

My wife got a Rad Runner because it's a good fit.  We were trying out some dirt trails and she found the bike was getting high-centered on rocks and roots. 

After looking it over, I concluded she could add 4" additional clearance by removing the existing kick stand.  However, a replacement center mount kickstand behind the bottom bracket has to have sufficient "spread" to go around the tire.  One that mounts on the wheel nut might add too much stress on the shaft and a mount on the chain stay has to be threaded through cables and an irregular tube shape.

Has anyone found a replacement?

chrias

dan26ntn

Quote from: waerola on May 15, 2021, 05:37:26 PM
My wife got a Rad Runner because it's a good fit.  We were trying out some dirt trails and she found the bike was getting high-centered on rocks and roots. 

After looking it over, I concluded she could add 4" additional clearance by removing the existing kick stand.  However, a replacement center mount kickstand behind the bottom bracket has to have sufficient "spread" to go around the tire.  One that mounts on the wheel nut might add too much stress on the shaft and a mount on the chain stay has to be threaded through cables and an irregular tube shape.

Has anyone found a replacement?

I used a Portland Design Works - Power Stance center mount design to replace that big contraption .  Because of the boxed in mounting surface on the bottom of the chainstays, it requires using either a 3/16 -1/4" thick plate , basically equal in dimensions to the existing plate welded on this kickstand , or enough flat washers (3 in my case) to shim it above the truss like plates (if someone knows the more correct term for these please correct me) that are factory welded on the bike to stabilize the stock kickstand. This is necessary to turn the new kickstand just a few degrees to clear the 3.3" tire that comes on the bike when folded up. It sounds like a big hassle, but it's a pretty easy fix to make this work and the length of this kickstand in the shortest setting is just right for the RR1 and it's strong enough to handle the weight of the bike.