News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover 5 Freewheel Replacement Options ?

Started by Duster7, October 31, 2020, 06:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Duster7

Which brand / model of free wheel have people used to replace the factory DNP 7-speed LY-1107MFN onthe rad rover 5?

And which brand \ model tool do you use for the removal / installation?

I ask as I am familiar with cassettes, not freewheels, and do not know if the threaded end is the same size on all 7 speeds, or if all the mounting points are the same on different brands \ models, etc.

Thanks

fin_rad

Also looking for replacement, RadRhino/RadRover 2019. I have had hard time finding the 11-34T cassette anywhere, now considering if I should buy two sets and combine one correct one from them...
Anyone knows where to order? I have not contacted the Rad support yet, but will do.

Radding Along

The 11/34 freewheel should be available from Rad. I would guess the cost would be around $50. While ordering it from them, ask them about the freewheel tool. That should only be about $15 or $30.

When using the tool, seat it properly and mount an adjustable wrench to it. Smack the wrench firmly with a rubber mallet, counter clockwise. It should spin right off.

If the tool isn't seated in the hole properly, you risk damaging the tool. If you aren't mechanically inclined, it may be easier to have a bike shop remove the old one. Should only take them five minutes.

jbfoster

I have heard the tool from RAD does not work that well. Bolton E-bikes has a tool that suppose to work good if you don't mind paying $50.

Radding Along

Sometimes it's less expensive in the long run to have a bike shop break the freewheel loose for you.

fin_rad

The Youtube is full of tutorials how to do this, so no problem there. You might not even need that pricy custom tool, since it is a standard Bafang hub motor after all isn'it it?
And honestly the Rad's support is really my last choice since their prices seem to be higher than in a regular bike shops :)