Author Topic: No Puncture resistant tubes for Fat tire bikes- Why  (Read 4392 times)

SoCoRuss

• View Profile
No Puncture resistant tubes for Fat tire bikes- Why
« on: January 10, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Does anyone have any idea why there isnt any manufacturers making puncture resistant tubes for fat tire bikes. Its strange considering they are the" IN Thing".

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: No Puncture resistant tubes for Fat tire bikes- Why
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »
Are you talking about those 20% thicker bottom inner tubes like they sell at Wally World? Most ebikes come with puncture resistant tires. And you have Mr. Tuffy tire liner options as well. Plus Tannus is getting into fat tires now. I've used those 20% thicker bottom tubes on my beach cruiser but flats are like death and taxes. When its your turn nothing will save you. I just carry a Scabs patch kit and hope for the best on my 'Runner.

reppac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
I just received these today. Planning on mounting them next week or so and testing them out on my Radrover 5.

Whyme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »
Very interested in how they work for you. Stay away from porcupines

SoCoRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 01:35:03 PM »
Cant speak for other Fat tire makers but Rad doesn't come with puncture resistant tubes/tires. Appears most manufacturers, from my research, use the lightest, read thinnest tires to reduce weight. The tires that come standard on the Rovers really isn't any protection in southwestern trails of any type.
I've emailed various tube companies but got vague replies.

I'm ordering mongoose tubes because they are a little thicker along with Mr Tuffy 4XL liners. Got the larger ones to try and get a little more side protection.

To me the tannus armor is only a foam barrier and a smaller tube that makes the distance a thorn or nail have to penetrate be longer. That not protection thats distance/thickness which is what puncture resist tubes  and liners are for a much lower cost. Plus again the cost and I'm seeing comments from folks on various bike sites saying it causes more rolling resistant issues and they still get flats maybe less but they still get them.

I'm seeing more and more folks change out the tires to more knobby styles here for protection.  In my opinion the spacing on the Rover tires between knobs is too much and there isn't enough tread depth on the knobs. After trying the Mongoose and tuffy combo. I may go that way also.

In Colorado we have more thorn resistant tubes on shelves than normal tubes for a very good reason, goat head thorns.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum