News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radrover 6 UI Remote Bracket Repair - 3D Print?

Started by hondo2160, April 16, 2024, 02:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

hondo2160

The bracket that holds the UI remote broke on both of our Radrover 6 bikes.  I am hoping someone has a 3D print file of this bracket, or a way to affix the remote.  I am using cable ties but they are ugly and the remote keeps slipping.  Thank you!

John Rose

One of my favourite (even more so than duct tape) DIY sekrit weapons is plumbers strapping. It typically looks like this:

Super strong, yet easy to cut with metal shears or bolt cutters and easy to bend by hand or with pliers. It comes in various widths and materials, such as mild steel, copper, and galvanized steel. Of interest for this project is the kind that is coated with PVC, so as to minimize scratching the finish on the handlebar.

The smaller holes should be big enough to get the threaded part of the screws through, but small enough for the heads not top slip through. You could also use washers with it too.

Maybe not very elegant to look at, but it should be secure enough until you find a 3D-printed one.

Or, you might get lucky and find one of these molded PVC pipe straps in the right diameter, or slightly bigger:

It should be on a shelf near the other kind of strap. If it's slightly bigger diameter then you can put a strip of inner tube rubber on the inside, or build it up with PVC tape.
[edit] Oops. It just occurred to me now that the part you are trying to replace fits around half the diameter of the handlebar, so it's only a half circle on the inside. The PVC pipe strap is designed to fit the full diameter of a pipe, so it's a half circle plus parallel extensions. A sheet metal one could be more easily bent to fit.

Oh - If you do have one printed, and it's printed with filament, have it be printed on its side (not upright like an arch), because the horizontal layers are more easily split than the other uh ... directions? ... dimensions?.
If it's a resin printer, then I have no idea.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

John Rose

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on April 16, 2024, 07:53:35 PMIf you cannot find a replacement bracket why not try using a cellphone mount?
I don't think you could find one small enough for the UI Remote.
Also, the button-mashing subjects it to considerably more force than tapping on a touch screen.

hondo2160

This is a bummer. A replacement unit is $80. I guess cable ties will do for now.

John Rose

Quote from: hondo2160 on April 20, 2024, 03:34:06 PMThis is a bummer. A replacement unit is $80. I guess cable ties will do for now.
Yup.
There was a popular novel in the '70s, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Persig. Part of it is the story of a road trip with his buddy.
His buddy had this deluxe BMW touring bike and was complaining about how one of the brake handles or something was slipping, and it was so far to the next BMW authorized service centre. The author offered to fix it by cutting a shim from a soda can and installing it. The very idea of it horrified his buddy because it wasn't an Official BMW Brass Shim. He preferred to put up with the slipping for the duration.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: hondo2160 on April 20, 2024, 03:34:06 PMThis is a bummer. A replacement unit is $80. I guess cable ties will do for now.
I love challenges, can you provide a picture of the damages? What part broke?
In Canada it's called eh_Bike