News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Is Rad retiring the + models?

Started by ChrisB, April 04, 2024, 07:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ChrisB

I see that Rad has introduced the new Radsters models. They look really interesting and are another step up from previous models. My wife and I each have a RadCity5+ (HS for me and a ST for her), and are very happy with the bikes. We are not looking to replace them anytime soon as we have only had them for two years. I have a query, Rad only produced 3 models with the display and controls of my bike (RadRover6+, RadCity5+ and the Radrunner3+) before bringing out a whole new bike with totally new controls. Will they have support for my bike in the future when the inevitable breakdown happens? The battery looks the same (which is good because I don't see an aftermarket battery being designed for my bike), so it should fit my bike when I eventually have to replace mine.

Just pondering the question.

Eric7

I'm not answering your questions, but I like my current Rad precisely because it looks like a bike slapped together with after-market parts. If anything breaks and I can't get a replacement, I plan to buy parts from 3rd party vendors. 

After 5-10 years or when I can no longer get parts, I think it is time to retire the bike. I don't like to think like that but that is the way the world is, nothing works forever and bike technology, especially ebike technology, changes so fast. However, considering everything in that old bike seems modular, I find it hard to believe that parts, or 3rd party parts, will no longer be available in 10 years.

John Rose

Quote from: Eric7 on April 16, 2024, 10:16:47 AM... I don't like to think like that but that is the way the world is, nothing works forever and bike technology, especially ebike technology, changes so fast. ...
That ain't necessarily so.
I shave with razors that are 50-100 years old, they out-perform modern cartridge and disposable razors, and (most amazing of all) you can still get blades for them, at a cost of a penny or two per shave. I have a few modern ones too, but they're styled after the vintage ones and have interchangeable parts.
My 40-year old electric kitchen stove is primitive too but you can still repair it.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Ryan

I've stopped trying to figure out Rad's naming scheme but it does seem like the dual display isn't the go-forward with the introduction of both the color horizontal and color vertical screen especially with moving to more advanced functions like changing the Class. I'm speculating here and I do hope that they support those who have "older" models much into the future.