News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Figuring out if I buy a radrunner 2

Started by Mc, March 16, 2021, 10:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Mc

Hi,

I'm planing to get a radrunner 2, EU verwion. But somewhere I read, you can't get faster than 25km/h even when pedaling only. Like the chain is slipping through, if you pedal harder.
Is that true? I'm OK, not having electric help beyond 25km/h but I'd like to be able to at least pedal higher speeds.

Living in a very hilly surrounding and going downhill is only fun, if you accelerate [emoji6]

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

jbfoster

I have the Radrover 5. The motor stops at 24mph. I can go faster but I have to pedal my butt off. Anything past 24mph is all me no motor. The chain does not slip. All that is happening is once you reach the top speed the motor shuts off. Once your speed slows the motor kicks back on.

Jim

Mc

Thanks! The radrover has a gearing. Radrunner doesn't. Maybe that's the difference? Hope some Radrunner user can confirm.

FortunatelyTheMilk

RadRunner is single speed, and goes as fast as you can pedal it. Power assist stops at 25km/h, unless you do something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDSllZzRYA

Veggyhed

I thought the Rad runner 2 had gearing and the regular rad runner was single speed

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

robzkombi

Quote from: Veggyhed on March 18, 2021, 06:29:16 AM
I thought the Rad runner 2 had gearing and the regular rad runner was single speed

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes, you are correct. The R-runner1 is a single speed where as the R-runner-Plus is a 7 speed like the R-rover 5.  We have a R-rover 5 and a R-runner1 and just put an order in for the R-runner Plus. From my experience I prefer the 7 gears over the single geared R-runner-1 ..Hands down gearing is your friend, at least in my case  :)

Mc

Yes, still a bit considering if I'm getting the plus version or not. The only negative thing is it's only a viable in silver. Wouldn't think twice, if there is a black version.

robzkombi

Quote from: Mc on March 18, 2021, 09:03:16 AM
Yes, still a bit considering if I'm getting the plus version or not. The only negative thing is it's only a viable in silver. Wouldn't think twice, if there is a black version.

Understood, I too was not too keen on the silver color they went with. The green imho is awesome then of course black is always in style  :).  I mean you could always have it repainted just make sure you are certain on the type of terrain you will be riding in.  Florida flat, well R-Runner1 would be great...anything else with hills, a geared rear end will be nice....imho.

wkindred

yeah, the radrunner 1 has no way to change gears...but in the year i've been riding it through mixed terrain areas, i've never really felt the need.

i've also been riding a juiced hyperscorpion for the last 9 months, which has an 8-speed shimano cassette.

in those 9 months i may have shifted...twice, maybe.

:D

Mc

OK, I think I settled with the radrunner plus, even though it's silver.

I really need gear shifting. Very southern part of Bavaria, lots of lots of hills.

I think painting isn't that great. Usually bikes have pulver coating which is pretty durable. Paint just doesn't forgive any dents or scratches.

But thanks guys for all the great answers. That really led me the right way! Much appreciate that.

robzkombi

Quote from: wkindred on March 18, 2021, 12:43:13 PM

yeah, the radrunner 1 has no way to change gears...but in the year i've been riding it through mixed terrain areas, i've never really felt the need.

i've also been riding a juiced hyperscorpion for the last 9 months, which has an 8-speed shimano cassette.

in those 9 months i may have shifted...twice, maybe.

:D

You're in better shape than I am then lol lol but im working on it!  I know in my Rad Rover I'm going through all the gears. I'm trying to not to go past 3 on peddle assist...trying.