News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

First ride on the new Radrover 5

Started by Dan B, August 25, 2020, 02:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Dan B

Well after about 7 weeks my new Radrover 5 arrived today in Illinois. The bow was in great shape and all the contents were safe and in order. First thing I did after the unboxing procedure was check the rotors. Both were perfect.. then I went ahead and tightened the spokes about 1/4 turn per wheel.
   The assembly went smooth, except I mounted the handle bars on with the front fork facing rearward as shipped.  Changed that out and all was good.
    The disk brake gap was spot on and the only adjustment was to the cable to allow for the brake lever to come back about 1/3 before engaging. It was set at almost instant engage and I didnt like that.
    The battery was fully charged when shipped and the digital display was set and everything electrical was working perfect. The gears shifted very smooth with no problems overriding the top or bottom gears. The throttle was butter smooth and worked perfect. I took it for about 8 miles and went through the gears and throttle. I am very impressed. It went way above expectations. It is addictive..
  I mounted my seat post rack, rack bag and bar end mirror and a phone mount and I am very pleased.  I thought the motor ran very quiet and had not cliches so far.,. attached is a couple of pics at the local Starbucks.

Jr Samples

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine. How is the seat? Is it comfy? If not, I will have to go with the Cloud 9 or other more padded one.

Thanks! RAD on Dude!!

Dan B

Quote from: Jr Samples on August 25, 2020, 08:19:32 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to get mine. How is the seat? Is it comfy? If not, I will have to go with the Cloud 9 or other more padded one.

Thanks! RAD on Dude!!
The seat is OK, it kinda has bumps just under your butt bones. My cloud 9 on my other bike feels better. This one is good for tooling around town, but longer distances a C9 would be better

lundborn

I got my Rad Rover 5 Tuesday Aug 25 as well. Unboxing was great, and I did the same thing the original poster did. The handlebars are positioned backwards for shipping. I re did that and its fine. My display was unplugged but caught that early. My derailleur is really out of adjustment - bad. It skips gears like crazy, not lined up and not smooth whatsoever. I have attempted to correct this but that doesn't seem to work. I may have to hit a bike shop soon. The thing is a monster. I am a big guy and it pulls me around just fine. I will be looking for a replacement plug and play battery upgrade, seat upgrade, mirrors and locks. I ride mostly bike trails and streets. Other than shifting, which is a real problem, so far I love it

Dan B

Quote from: lundborn on August 26, 2020, 08:16:02 AM
I got my Rad Rover 5 Tuesday Aug 25 as well. Unboxing was great, and I did the same thing the original poster did. The handlebars are positioned backwards for shipping. I re did that and its fine. My display was unplugged but caught that early. My derailleur is really out of adjustment - bad. It skips gears like crazy, not lined up and not smooth whatsoever. I have attempted to correct this but that doesn't seem to work. I may have to hit a bike shop soon. The thing is a monster. I am a big guy and it pulls me around just fine. I will be looking for a replacement plug and play battery upgrade, seat upgrade, mirrors and locks. I ride mostly bike trails and streets. Other than shifting, which is a real problem, so far I love it
Might want to give RAD tech support a call maybe they can guide you through an adjustment procedure. Beats taking it to a shop plus may help in the future if you have another similar problem.

Gene Pozniakoff

I've had the two Rad City bikes, wife's ST and my Reg. frame, since July.
Got my Rad Rover yesterday. I'm in St.Louis if anyone want to join up for a ride next week.
Anyway, Unboxing & Set up was unremarkable. Box did have a hole the size on a foot, but no damage that I could ascertain.  Added rear rack, which may have been tweaked from factory, but it's on nice and tight now. Put on the MYZRAH pedals from Amazon, best $25 you'll spend, and rear pack bag to carry necessary tubes, tools etc.
The rear derailleur adjuster needs slight turning to get proper chain alignment with all the gears. Try in 7th gear, spin through each gear and adjust the barrel adjuster to limit noise and ensure smooth shifting. Should take about 30 min. Or a good local bike mech. can do the same for $20.
Saddle and handlebar adjustment is key for comfortable riding! I have to move the saddle back, check 6mm bolt underneath saddle twice before it felt good. Same with the handlebar and stem.
The Rover really does feel different for the Rad City. Time to RIDE! 

George3

Dan B,

Did you receive the fenders or did you choose not to mount them?

George

Dan B

Quote from: George3 on August 29, 2020, 08:54:26 PM
Dan B,

Did you receive the fenders or did you choose not to mount them?

George
I did receive the full fenders with the Rad 5 as part of the purchase price. However I looked at some of the Rad Rovers with the fenders and decided at least for now that I like the open wheel look better than the full fender look.  I bought the Rad Rover because I like the Mountain Bike type look especially the large tires and the fenders seem to be trying to make it look more like a cruiser.

George3

Thanks for your response.  Here in El Paso, Texas,  we don't really worry about rain too much so I may do the same and save a bit of weight at the same time.