News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRunner Plus - 500w Cdn Version

Started by Rad1001, March 17, 2022, 04:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Rad1001

Hi Guys,

Please tell me your experience and what you liked or did not like regarding your CDN version 500w RadRunner Plus.  Any comments are appreciated.  Your suggested upgrades etc.  Also how is the 500w version for inclines.  I would be using it for when I go RVing and ubrban/city use too.

Thanks,

Chris777

Lame. 500 watts is not enough. 33% of the power is missing. It chokes going up tiny hills. Really regret that purchase.

Ddaybc

One needs to take what one reads about the 500 watt Canadian limit with a grain of salt.
Some are telling us that the 500 watt limit is lame, it makes the bikes weak, it can't climb hills etc. Much of what you are going to hear is based on a bit of truth of course. The 500 watt limit is definitely less than 750 watts and the 750 watt bikes will or should climb better. They are not going to go faster though as speed is determined almost solely by voltage. 1000 watts is even better but where do we stop? However that's like comparing a regular 350 cu inch engine to a high performance one. It's always more enjoyable to drive a high performance vehicle but was the standard one unable to do the job? Not at all, it simply wasn't a high performance vehicle. Here in Canada it is also important to remember every road bike you can legally buy is limited to 500 watts so it's not just Rad bikes.
Is 500 watts enough? I can't answer that for anyone else, however it is enough for me on my RW4. It's a much heavier bike and with larger diameter wheels/tires than the RadRunner Plus but it does OK. I would like a bit more torque but it's not slow. It gets up to speed reasonably quickly, it carries enough cargo for me and it goes as far as I need it to go per charge.

ericwn

Quote from: Chris777 on March 18, 2022, 07:17:00 AM
Lame. 500 watts is not enough. 33% of the power is missing. It chokes going up tiny hills. Really regret that purchase.
I'm riding a Canadian RadWagon and have to pedal assist up the hills often, but that's the same for any 500W bike.

I'll probably install an Eggrider to get some more torque.

It really depends on the rider's weight as well. My wife can get pretty much anywhere with just the throttle power.

Chris777

I suggest you test drive some Canadian ebikes from a local dealer.  They blew the Rad out of the water. For Rad the Canadian market is an afterthought. They put zero engineering into making the 500 watt version work properly. I made a big mistake buying one. It's premium pricing for a hobbled Ebike.

ericwn

Quote from: Chris777 on March 18, 2022, 10:58:43 AM
I suggest you test drive some Canadian ebikes from a local dealer.  They blew the Rad out of the water. For Rad the Canadian market is an afterthought. They put zero engineering into making the 500 watt version work properly. I made a big mistake buying one. It's premium pricing for a hobbled Ebike.
Which brands can you then recommend for comparison? A link to their specs is appreciated.

NaturallyRC

Yes please. Very curious which brands and models blew the Rad out of the water, with the same 500 watts, and how. Not trying to sound like a Rad fanboy here. Sincerely curious.

Quote from: ericwn on March 18, 2022, 12:35:19 PM
Quote from: Chris777 on March 18, 2022, 10:58:43 AM
Which brands can you then recommend for comparison? A link to their specs is appreciated.

SQFRad

I guess my experience is different. I live about 2km up a large hill, with some very steep sections and while more power would make it easier and it does require pedaling I've never really felt the bike was struggling, but it won't climb at full speed for sure. My wife has the Trivel Azteca fat Tire ebike and it does climb a bit easier, but it has more gears and a front hub motor.

This is a hill I've never been able to climb on any bicycle, I've had to get off and push on the steepest spots even as a teen when I was better conditioned and biking every day, everywhere.

As happy as I am with the RadRunner+, I do have the Area13 35A controller on order. I have a feeling that's what it'll take to keep up with my wife.

Chris777

I found someone who gets bikes from the same factory Rad uses and then customizes them to go to 675 to 1000 watts. I'll let you know after I get the bikes.

NaturallyRC

New to ebikes here. What can you tell me about the Area13 35A brain -- ie why you are spending a couple hundred to get one. Is it known as a game changer? Cheers and thanks.

Quote from: SQFRad on March 19, 2022, 08:08:11 AM
As happy as I am with the RadRunner+, I do have the Area13 35A controller on order. I have a feeling that's what it'll take to keep up with my wife.

JimInPT

Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 19, 2022, 01:24:15 PMNew to ebikes here. What can you tell me about the Area13 35A brain -- ie why you are spending a couple hundred to get one. Is it known as a game changer? Cheers and thanks.

I'm in the USA, so we don't have a silly 500w (or even worse, 250w) limit, but Rad hard-caps their controller's output to 750, period - no "momentary" or "afterburner" boosting as seems to be available from other bike companies.  The Bolton/Area13 35A controller can deliver about 1,600w maximum.  Altema here on the forum did some testing with it, actually attempting to burn out a stock Rad motor with full power (he could sacrifice the motor if necessary, removed and replaced with a different one) - and he was unable to burn out the "750w" motor with over double the power over the stock controller.  It seems to be over-spec'd, which relieves a bit of power anxiety.

So I'm adding the Bolton controller to my MiniST2 to conquer the couple of hills in town I can't manage without a ton of extra effort, which my knees punish me for doing.  Note that stock batteries won't give you higher speed with a controller upgrade; speed increases (beyond unlocking artificial limits in the controller) are achieved with more voltage, not more current.  But about 25mph is plenty for me; I just need extra push now and then on the steep slopes.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

NaturallyRC

Thanks for the good, clear explanation.

Quote from: JimInPT on March 19, 2022, 05:07:07 PM
Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 19, 2022, 01:24:15 PMNew to ebikes here. What can you tell me about the Area13 35A brain -- ie why you are spending a couple hundred to get one. Is it known as a game changer? Cheers and thanks.

I'm in the USA, so we don't have a silly 500w (or even worse, 250w) limit, but Rad hard-caps their controller's output to 750, period - no "momentary" or "afterburner" boosting as seems to be available from other bike companies.  The Bolton/Area13 35A controller can deliver about 1,600w maximum.  Altema here on the forum did some testing with it, actually attempting to burn out a stock Rad motor with full power (he could sacrifice the motor if necessary, removed and replaced with a different one) - and he was unable to burn out the "750w" motor with over double the power over the stock controller.  It seems to be over-spec'd, which relieves a bit of power anxiety.

So I'm adding the Bolton controller to my MiniST2 to conquer the couple of hills in town I can't manage without a ton of extra effort, which my knees punish me for doing.  Note that stock batteries won't give you higher speed with a controller upgrade; speed increases (beyond unlocking artificial limits in the controller) are achieved with more voltage, not more current.  But about 25mph is plenty for me; I just need extra push now and then on the steep slopes.

JimInPT

Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 20, 2022, 04:59:39 AMThanks for the good, clear explanation.

You're welcome.  One possible caveat I didn't think of - I have no idea if Rad uses a different, lower-spec, motor on Canadian and other export models, or just does controller tweaks to limit the power delivery.  If it's the same motor, the Bolton upgrade should provide the same improvements without fear of burning it out per Altema's tests.

If it's a different lower-spec motor, the Bolton upgrade setting C5 can be tweaked to limit the maximum power delivery, I think.  I haven't installed my upgrade yet, so can't confirm. 
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.