News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRunner+: Canada vs US Electronics and Motors

Started by Jay-Ryan, February 16, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jay-Ryan

So there seems to be a lot of chatter out there indicating the RadRunner Plus 750w US motor is, in actuality, a running at 500w/750w peak.  The Canadian RadRunner is advertized as 500w, no mention of peak...
Does anyone know...  Is it the same motor?  If I decided to trick out my (Canadian) bike, could I apply the exact same numbers, use the same parts as the much published 500w steady/750w peak motor?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.
Cheers!
Jay

Veggyhed

I too have also heard that and I also heard that it's the same motor all the way around.
Something for you to try. Go to the display settings and change your wheel size from 22 to 20 and see if you can notice a difference. You do this by holding the plus minus buttons simultaneously. You can also change your cutoff speed from 20 mph and increase it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Chris777

Controller locks you out at 500 watts. It's useless. The bigger motor is just excess weight.

SQFRad

You can thank regulations for the 500w limit on a motor that's almost definitely capable of peaking higher. Have you considered an aftermarket controller?

Jay-Ryan

Quote from: Jay-Ryan on February 16, 2022, 12:15:48 PM
So there seems to be a lot of chatter out there indicating the RadRunner Plus 750w US motor is, in actuality, a running at 500w/750w peak.  The Canadian RadRunner is advertised as 500w, no mention of peak...
Does anyone know...  Is it the same motor?  If I decided to trick out my (Canadian) bike, could I apply the exact same numbers, use the same parts as the much published 500w steady/750w peak motor?

Update: 30Kms put on the bike yesterday.  Although I still do not have a definitive answer as to the motor specs, there appears to be a limiter in place (Thinking the controller) which limits the motor to 500w...  Period.  steady 500w, peak, 500w.

Even though I programmed max speed up from 32kph (20mph) to 40 (25mph) with the goal of getting 24ishmph, bike still struggles to maintain 20mph.  I'm not a technical person, so I will wait to see results from more skilled people before wasting money trying to get optimal performance from it (And after warranty expires, of course).

Jay-Ryan

Quote from: SQFRad on March 19, 2022, 08:09:55 AM
You can thank regulations for the 500w limit on a motor that's almost definitely capable of peaking higher. Have you considered an aftermarket controller?

As posted above...  Yes considered, but waiting for two things...  Someone more skilled than I to try it and report the findings...  Warranty to expire.

Cheers!
Jay

Chris777

Quote from: Chris777 on March 18, 2022, 07:18:28 AM
Controller locks you out at 500 watts. It's useless. The bigger motor is just excess weight.
Past me you dum dum. Americans getting the Bolton upgraded controller have 750 WATT controllers and screens gather dust in their garage. Just get one to mail you the old one for a few bucks.