News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Mini Rear Rack

Started by Eaglesham, December 30, 2021, 06:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Eaglesham

I read yesterday that the Mini rear rack was available however when I tried to order one I was told that they don't ship to Canada and that I should contact
Rad Canada ( I hadn't realized that the link I used was the USA only )
I tried to order one through the Support Centre ( telephone ) and was told that they were unable to help
I was asking if it was also available in Canada therefore their response seemed odd.
Has anyone in Canada been able to order one since they announced that they had them in stock again

On a more positive side I ordered two Rad Mini step thru's on Dec 15 and received them on Dec 22   

Eric7

FYI. The screw holes for mounting a rack on a Rad often have paint inside.  The paint and the purple threadlock pre applied on the screw, together makes for a very difficult install.  The hole don't take a screw easily.  I stripped a hex screw head and the screw still won't get in.  Just sharing. After Rad send me the new hardware, I tried again.

The best way is to use a tap to clean out the hole but I don't have that.

I used a lot of WD-40 and screwed it in like I was tapping it.  That is, one turn in, half turn out, apply WD-40, one turn in, half turn out, apply WD-40, and so on.

RadBoleyRad

What size Tap did you use to clean out the threads for mounting the rear rack?

Radding Along

The tap size is either M5, .8 mm pitch, or M6 1mm pitch. Eric7 is correct, the holes often have paint or thread lock in them. In most cases you can get away with threading in a bolt from one side or the other to clean the hole out. That is, provided you thread the bolt in straight. But a tap would ensure clean threads.

I can't stress it enough, the threads must be cleaned out before you attempt to install the rack.

RadBoleyRad

Thanks Radding Along for the tap size info.Thats what I suspected.We received our racks today and just ordered them on Dec 29th. as soon they were back stock. Also Thanks Rad Power Bikes.Now if I can only get our other Mini ST ordered on Nov. 28 2021.  ) :)

Omidia Ramin

So a couple weeks ago i was in the vancouver store and they did have them in stock there. I don't believe they ship from there and the store stock status is different from the online stock..

It's a bit frustrating but also, how it is.

I got my rack, LUCKILY, a couple weeks after i got my bike in Feb just before the pandemic.  It has been the changer.  It's like a roof rack for a car — it makes it possible to do almost anything! (Well, maybe not mattresses, but you know...)

Let's hope stock status in the store means stock will show up soon again online.

However if you or anyone else needs/wants the rack for the mini, and presuming you don't live in vancouver, but elsewhere in canada I'm open to assisting.

It would be on a non profit basis (ie. you would pay the amount the vancouver store would charge me for the rack, including taxes, receipt def.. provided) plus shipping to you., and we could chat to do the things so that each of us feel good with the risk (for example, if you want two, it might be better to do one at a time because we don't know each other, etc..., also shipping i would insist be traceable, can be slow or fast but somehow track able,, etc...) and then afterwards we can call rad and transfer the ownership or i can do it in the store and you can verify afterwards (i've done this for a battery i bought,, and it at least confirms the person i bought it from DID own a battery that they legally purchased, etc... and they just put a notation on the invoices.)

Anyways, it's an open offer, if i get a lot of request, i don't' have a huge float for this, so i may only want to do 1 or 2 max at a time, and i don't think rad is necessarily ok with this though i don't think they'll care given that I'm not looking to make any money, but they might start asking me questions when i go in to buy the 7th rack, but you know, if i can help 1 or 2 people get a rack, that's fine by me.

Anyways, people have been generally pretty awesome and helpful here, it feels like a community of sorts, so it feels like something i can put a bit of energy into. 

Enjoy your mini's!!!

Quote from: Eaglesham on December 30, 2021, 06:16:41 AM
I read yesterday that the Mini rear rack was available however when I tried to order one I was told that they don't ship to Canada and that I should contact
Rad Canada ( I hadn't realized that the link I used was the USA only )
I tried to order one through the Support Centre ( telephone ) and was told that they were unable to help
I was asking if it was also available in Canada therefore their response seemed odd.
Has anyone in Canada been able to order one since they announced that they had them in stock again

On a more positive side I ordered two Rad Mini step thru's on Dec 15 and received them on Dec 22

Eric7

The sizes are different.  Please check for yourself - meaning don't rely on this.  I am 99% sure you need both an M5 and an M6 tap making this an expensive attempt if you want to tap out the holes.  The holes at the top are a different size than the holes on the bottom near the axle.

Radding Along

You are correct, there are two different sized bolts holding the rack on. But the bolt holes that are usually the issue are the lower one's near the back wheel. The holes up by the seat are usually pretty good.

It really isn't necessary to tap the holes clean, but it does insure you don't strip them out if you aren't mechanically inclined. As I mentioned before, as long as you chase a bolt through the hole first, you will be fine. But you have to start the bolt in the hole straight, otherwise you will strip it out. And you do have the option of starting the bolt from the other side of the hole as well. So if one side is gunked up, try the other side.

From what I read on a Facebook forum, Rad is aware of the issue and the next batch of bikes being delivered will not have the issue.

Veggyhed

I would also suggest if you're not going to use loctite then use some anti-seize compound and if you don't have that regular grease.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk