Author Topic: Wheel size in display settings  (Read 7142 times)

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Wheel size in display settings
« on: December 14, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
When entering the settings of the display on the Rad runner Plus is the wheel size 20-in or 22-in on the stock settings of the display?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Ddaybc

• View Profile
Re: Wheel size in display settings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
The Radwagon 4 is the only Rad with 22 inch tires. Apparently the controller will compensate or figure out the total diameter of the tire/wheel combination if one enters the correct wheel size. The only caveat is if one is using different tires from the stock tire size as the overall diameter can be affected. Unless one was using a 1.25 inch tire verses a 3 inch tire I'm not sure if the small difference in diameter will matter much as 20 mph verses 19 or 21 won't really be noticeable anyway.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 02:24:50 AM »
I'm just trying to figure out what's the factory settings are supposed to be for my red runner plus

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 06:18:54 AM »
I believe it is 22, but I will let someone else chime in.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
I think you're correct and 22-in wheels are supposed to be the default. However I don't understand this.
Is there a way for anyone to check on their rad runner plus the wheel size and the display settings?

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 09:05:34 AM »
I think you're correct and 22-in wheels are supposed to be the default. However I don't understand this.
Is there a way for anyone to check on their rad runner plus the wheel size and the display settings?

You have a RadRunner Plus, correct? According to Rads website it has 20 X 3.3 inch tires and wheels so the factory settings are supposed to be 20 inch. If you are looking for the actual diameter of your tires/wheels used on your bike you will need to measure them as each wheel size will be dependant on the tire itself.
To get the most accurate setting you will then need to compare the speed shown on the computer to a GPS unit. However, between each unit, each GPS unit may show a different speed and each bike computer may show a different speed as they are not totally accurate amongst themselves either. It is my unlooked for opinion, however, that the bike computer is close enough. Simply set your tire size to whatever gets you close enough to the GPS unit.
The 22 inch tire size mentioned is standard on the Radwagon 4 and not on any other bike so they are not used on the RadRunner Plus.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 07:39:08 AM »
I do know the size of my tires. What I'm trying to find out is the stock settings in the display and what size tire needs to be in there for the red runner plus.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 08:11:10 AM »
I do know the size of my tires. What I'm trying to find out is the stock settings in the display and what size tire needs to be in there for the red runner plus.

It might be dependent on the tires you have mounted.  If you're looking for accuracy, I recommend putting your phone into GPS speed mode and compare its reading against the bike's display on a level surface after giving it a few seconds to stabilize.  Then adjust tire size in the settings until you get the closest match.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Ray.Marx.67@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:46:14 PM »
To answer your question, yes, RR+ has a 20" tire size, however, the diameter of the wheel with the default tires installed, 3.3" tire, is 22".

With the 22" wheel that would be probably 24", as I don't have one to measure it personally. 

For programming purposes, measure your wheel from the center of the axle to the floor with the bike standing upright at a 90° angle, multiply that by 2, that's what your diameter is.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 05:01:40 PM »
Close enough is good enough.  Bicycles don't travel in a straight line but weave left and right constantly so it is hard to say how to measure the actual distance traveled even if you have precise measurements.  It probably depends on the operator and the speed and how much weaving.  Also, the front wheel weaves more than the back wheel.  Tire inflation and wear also affect a bit. Then there is rounding error in the digital counter/speedometer. Real-life is a set of compromises.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 03:45:59 AM »
To answer your question 22" is the setting you want.

It's the outside diameter of wheel and tyre

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 04:20:54 AM »
And the display settings for the mini 2020 The manufacturer settings are 20 in. The mini uses exactly the same wheels as the Runner Plus. I unfortunately while messing around with the settings did not pay attention to the original settings. It is the settings that I'm curious about.

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 12:01:28 PM »
All Mini models have the same factory setting as all the runner models. It is 22”.

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 12:35:54 PM »
I measured my wheel and tire diameter on my Radwagon4. They come with 22 inch by 3.3 inch tires and their overall diameter is 24 inches. So I believe your 20 inch by 3.3 inch tires would measure out to 22 inches as pointed out by Radding Along and FortunatelyTheMilk.
When the weather permits and because of curiosity I will check my 22 inch tire setting in my display with my GPS and my phone GPS units to see how accurate it is. Who knows, maybe I'll change it to 24 inch?  :-)

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 06:36:12 PM »
The new Wagon 4 has a stock display size of 22” as well. The prior model wagon with the 26” tires had a stock setting of 24”.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 06:36:12 PM »