News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Pushing RadRunner to its limits: Suggestions?

Started by dylanleger15, February 16, 2022, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

dylanleger15

Hello everybody, I just recently got a RadRunner 2 and a Radmini 4. The direct drop in upgrades are fine more my mini, but the Runner has that beefy frame and rack space between the tires to mount an extra battery.
I'm currently looking at a 1500w motor and working with someone to lace the spokes also getting help with the torque arm.
I'm pretty inexperienced, what would you guys do to get the bike to and or over 40mph?
I'm replacing the 48v 14ah with a 52v 20ah, along with adding a 52v 25-30ah block under the rear rack.

dylanleger15

I'll also mention I intend to replace the controller and anything else completely, while maintaining as many of the original bike parts as possible. I really like the frame of the Runner and I want the feel/look of a traditional bike. Anyone been on a similar journey?

JimInPT

Hey Dylan, welcome to the Rad gang here.

If you really want to ride a small e-bike in the 40 mph range, I would be thinking of getting a bike factory-designed, tested and equipped for that, with suspension, frame, lights, tires and especially brakes to match.  No telling what the handling and stopping characteristics of those Rad bikes are like at that speed, although I suspect somebody on this forum has been there with them and could comment.  I've taken my MiniST2 up to slightly over 30 downhill with the factory setup and thought it was getting a little squirrely.   And do you really want to ride one past a cop at 40 mph?

I've ridden my Honda ST1100 close to 140 mph, so not too intimidated about higher speeds on two wheels per se, but am older and slower now; I'm cool with 25-30 on my MiniST but the 35A controller upgrade I bought for it is to bump up torque, not speed, for climbing hills.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Jay-Ryan

Quote from: dylanleger15 on February 16, 2022, 01:23:20 PM
Hello everybody, I just recently got a RadRunner 2 and a Radmini 4. The direct drop in upgrades are fine more my mini, but the Runner has that beefy frame and rack space between the tires to mount an extra battery.
I'm currently looking at a 1500w motor and working with someone to lace the spokes also getting help with the torque arm.
I'm pretty inexperienced, what would you guys do to get the bike to and or over 40mph?
I'm replacing the 48v 14ah with a 52v 20ah, along with adding a 52v 25-30ah block under the rear rack.

dylanleger15 - Sounds Acadian.  I'm in Atlanitic Canada.

I would be leary(sp) of speeds over 35mph with such a light hardtail...  Bicycles at high speed can get squirrely, I mean you have a bit of weight in your favour, but not a heck of a lot...  JimInPT has the best advice.  Get something purpose built for speed, if speed is your thing.

Cheers!
Jay