News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

where'd you add your second battery?

Started by rabbid74, December 13, 2021, 08:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

rabbid74

Hey Rad riders!  I'm planning to add a second battery with a datex2 and was wondering where folks have added a second battery on the Rad Runner?   Some options I'm toying with are under the passenger seat (ideal)  or on the front downtube, which would bum me out as I love the step-thru convenience of my RadRunner+.   Bonus points for pics of your second battery!   

Thanks and stay Rad!

j.Au

I threw a hailong style 48v on the front tube and connected both with the Bolton battery parallel unit.  It has not effected my ability to step through the bike, but a bigger battery might.

Sirch

I've looked into mounting a second battery under the passenger seat myself but this limits the size/Ah of the new battery but the only other option is the front downtube or in my center console. Does anyone have pics of either of these areas having a battery mounted?

dan26ntn

Quote from: Sirch on December 23, 2021, 08:18:33 AM
I've looked into mounting a second battery under the passenger seat myself but this limits the size/Ah of the new battery but the only other option is the front downtube or in my center console. Does anyone have pics of either of these areas having a battery mounted?

I made a 14s5p battery out of NESE modules -  https://18650.lt/ - using Samsung 50E cells . They just barely fit under the seat in a battery bag ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/174530582367?hash=item28a2d5575f:g:qecAAOSwP-Jfm~G3     .

One note is , using this configuration, fitting a BMS module is very tough , as the battery is hard enough to wiggle under there as it is. I elected to go without a BMS and monitor it myself , so this route is not for everybody. I have 25ah of capacity and 58.4 volts fully charged .

Sirch

I ordered a larger hailong style battery that I'm going to try to fit in the default Rad battery spot and put the stock Rad battery under the rear rack. Let's see how that goes.

Joel52334

I got the 48v battery from "Big Game Bikes dot com" It mounted nicely on the bottom bottle nuts.  I just added a piece of closed foam on the top.  I haven't gotten the battery/balancer tool they offer yet.  I'm going to add a 3rd BGB battery, on the back of my large platform.  It should fit just right, across the bracket.
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

Joel52334

Quote from: rabbid74 on December 13, 2021, 08:19:11 PM
Hey Rad riders!  I'm planning to add a second battery with a datex2 and was wondering where folks have added a second battery on the Rad Runner?   Some options I'm toying with are under the passenger seat (ideal)  or on the front downtube, which would bum me out as I love the step-thru convenience of my RadRunner+.   Bonus points for pics of your second battery!   

Thanks and stay Rad!

I got my 2nd 48v battery from Big Game Bikes, they also offer the datex2 or datex3 device.  for 2 or 3 batteries.  They have all the cables  you'll need.  Gareth is a very nice person to work with.
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

ElectricRides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrvXvJkpWBk&t=1s

Finished installing second battery to where the stock Rad battery is located and moved the Rad battery to under the rear rack. There have been a few minor tweeks since I uploaded this video (cable cleanup and moved the dual-battery adapter)

It can be a bit of a pain putting on and taking off the battery but it works great.