News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

First flat

Started by SemperVee, December 07, 2021, 10:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

SemperVee

Being a lucky SOB we found the Mini Stepthru  rear tire flat in the garage on roll out.  Much better now fixing at home then on the road in this cold  rainy weather to deal with it on side of road.   Could not see where it was coming from so I by the numbers turned her over and meticulously removed the wheel and began the process of discovery as to why since no puncture was evident.

Submerged the reflated tube in water to see bubbles coming from which area.   Nothing amiss.  Rolled my fingers inside the tire to find a tiny looks like part of a staple that was sticking into to tube not protruding out of the outside of the tire.  Good thing I checked before reinstalling tube and re inflating.     Cant help but think if RAD had not gone cheap on the nearly treadless tires with tires that actually had measurable tread this would not have happend.  Will be Amazoning for some chunkier tires despite the weight factor for safety reasons.

Veggyhed

I don't know why the step through has different tires but I've always been envious of those tires cuz I have the mini 4 and the tires are knobby and very loud. I have also had punctures even with thicker knobier tires

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

murbot

Quote from: Veggyhed on December 14, 2021, 10:14:41 AM
I don't know why the step through has different tires but I've always been envious of those tires cuz I have the mini 4 and the tires are knobby and very loud. I have also had punctures even with thicker knobier tires

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I wouldn't envy the CST Big Boat tires they ship the Mini's with now. Mine came with them in Nov. 2021 and not only do they look ridiculous (too small/thin @ 3"), but I don't feel confident on them at all. I "upgraded" to a cheap set of Mongoose tires that I'm not in love with, but they're much easier to ride on than the CST's.

I'd like to try the 3.3" K-Rad's just to see how they feel. The 3" is just way to thin, but I would like the easier turning of a thinner tire. The 3.3" seems a good mid point.

Edit: Speling correkshun

SemperVee

Looking at Shinko 241's to replace when it is time.   Some have tried them with great success - https://www.chapmoto.com/shinko-sr241-series-dual-sport-front-rear-tire.html

murbot

Quote from: SemperVee on March 08, 2022, 09:09:39 AM
Looking at Shinko 241's to replace when it is time.   Some have tried them with great success - https://www.chapmoto.com/shinko-sr241-series-dual-sport-front-rear-tire.html

Nice. I like those. I thought about a decent set of motor cross or small motor cycle tires, but am concerned about additional weight with the thicker rubber. Want to keep it simple for loading the truck and trailer for camping trips. Want a long lasting tire that will be comfortable cruising campgrounds, but can handle the road decently without losing tread too fast. Sounds like I want the perfect tire now that I see it written out. lol

What size would you go with on those Shinkos? I don't see a 20" diameter. 3.5 x 19 or 3.0 x 21 seem closest.

SemperVee

MC size differently - 3.0 x 16 = 20 inch wheel

murbot

Quote from: SemperVee on March 08, 2022, 12:17:27 PM

Thanks !

Is the 16 for the actual 16" diameter my wheel has? Meaning [anything] x 16 will fit a 20" tire?

Hoping to find a good 3.5" for my Mini 4.

SemperVee

Quote from: murbot on March 18, 2022, 10:24:14 AM
Quote from: SemperVee on March 08, 2022, 12:17:27 PM

Thanks !

Is the 16 for the actual 16" diameter my wheel has? Meaning [anything] x 16 will fit a 20" tire?

Hoping to find a good 3.5" for my Mini 4.

Yes -  but you will find limited sizing for 3_ x 16 (20) inch tires.   Rad had them made specically for that reason,  I believe so that you had to buy from them or find it challenging to find our size.  Why I am looking for a sale price on the Shinko 241 tire.