News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Mini Controller protection

Started by SemperVee, December 02, 2021, 01:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

SemperVee

Anyone riding their bike sooner or later looks down and will see the mess on the controller box specifically on the Mini 4 which faces front unlike the ST that hides it comfortably behind the seat post.    **Wondering if anyone has protected their controller with skid plate or some sort of fabric protection?

Eric7

<deleted my comments> I think you have a typo in one location.  I see you are asking about protection for the "Rad Mini" and not the Mini ST.

DCH3416

You can find skid plates for various rad models on ebay and such.

crorris

I'm not sure about the dimensions on the Mini controller, but if it would fit, maybe you could try something like this. I ordered the large one for my Bolton controller for my Rover 5, but returned it. There wasn't enough room for it on the Rover 5 between the frame and the rear fender. It doesn't look like the Mini would have that problem.

https://amzn.to/3yc2X6g

JimL

Here is something fun and it might work for you.  The black "large diameter" Sched 40 ABS pipe (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) can be cut and shaped with a method a friend showed me.  A hacksaw blade cuts it easily, and you can flatten or reshape with a propane torch, gloves, and a bucket of water.  You may find an ABS fitting long enough to reshape, instead of buying a long pipe that would be mostly wasted.

The trick is to fan the flame back and forth over the area you want to shape, but never let the visible portion of the flame rest on the ABS (or PVC if you want white).  I keep the flame several inches away, never stopping to change direction until I am away from the material.  Use patience to build the heat slowly, testing flexibility occasionally while wearing the gloves.  When you have an area hand shaped as you want, plunge it in water and it sets up quickly.  You could even press the softened material against the frame tube, to make a perfect fit for your guard.  It won't be hot enough to hurt the paint.

For complex shapes, work the heat in individual areas and shape the areas separately.

You could attach your "guard" using cable ties (the strong thick ones would be best).  I used this method to make a "replacement" for the broken off folding-support under the crank area (broke it off on rocks and tree roots on the mountain bike trail).

This stuff is really tough, even after heating and reshaping.

SemperVee

Thanks Jim,   I had not thought of that and my bike is Black so using black PVC will blend right in, that that color matters that much.

Altema

Cascade Manufacturing makes a skid plate for the RadMini. It covers the controller and the wiring under the crank, including the pedal assist sensor. I've used it with the stock controller, the common 22 and 35 amp controllers, and now with my 96 amp Phaserunner controller.

Muddy picture attached!

Veggyhed

Yes that controller does get hammered and bad weather. In the snow it also sticks to it.
I think a better solution would be to lower the front mud guard or use the small extension like a piece of inner tube I noticed my feet also take a hammering and I've watched riding through bed weather that is the front wheel that's kicking up everything. I think this would prevent a lot of debris preventing up on the controller.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SemperVee

Quote from: Altema on December 10, 2021, 11:39:53 PM
Cascade Manufacturing makes a skid plate for the RadMini. It covers the controller and the wiring under the crank, including the pedal assist sensor. I've used it with the stock controller, the common 22 and 35 amp controllers, and now with my 96 amp Phaserunner controller.

Muddy picture attached!
[/quote

Thanks for the info!... Looks to be a good fix

SemperVee

Quote from: Veggyhed on December 16, 2021, 02:33:29 AM
Yes that controller does get hammered and bad weather. In the snow it also sticks to it.
I think a better solution would be to lower the front mud guard or use the small extension like a piece of inner tube I noticed my feet also take a hammering and I've watched riding through bed weather that is the front wheel that's kicking up everything. I think this would prevent a lot of debris preventing up on the controller.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes!   That would be a cheap and easy fix stopping ANY spray coming from the front wheel!   A longer mud flap of sorts.  Thanks for the tip.