Author Topic: Connected Burley Trailer old style to Rad Mini ST Rack. No mods, no extra parts.  (Read 4192 times)

Eric7

• View Profile
Sharing my discovery. I was able to connect my Burley Trailer using the old style hitch to my Rad Mini ST rack. No modifications needed.  All the parts were standard and not altered at all.  Even the safety strap could be connected. Took me about 10 min to figure out but it can be done.

Of course, I am not endorsing this and you take your own risks doing this.  I am not carrying a child in the trailer.  This is my cargo hauler.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 03:01:50 PM by Eric7 »

Radio Runner

• View Profile
Its nice that the mount fits in there. I wish Burly never quit making that mount but after the sell out to China they quickly went to the current hitch. Granted disc brakes render the original kind of un-usable now but at the time discs were not out yet and it was purely a cost cut. They ever even offered it as an option, just killed it.

By the way, I worked with one of the original "Burly Design Co-op" engineers. He told lots of cool stories about the genesis of design for that hitch, including the R&D cost. 15,000 in R&D is what it took to get it quick, reliable and past the legal eagles.

Eric7

• View Profile
Radio Runner,

Thanks for your insightful reply.  The mount fits quite well and I have loaded up my Burley Bee with 100 pounds of bottled water, or a 65 pound of dog just for fun and I can still drive around over mowed grass next to the road.  It is very stable.  Burley trailers are a good design.

It would be really nice if there was an adapter that allow Burley type trailers to be hooked up to the seat post.  I know it would be heavy - but we have ebikes.

heirhead

• View Profile
Hello,
New here!
Burley makes a hitch, $25.00, REI. Online knockoff, $7.00
Wouldn't that work great?
Thanks for response.

hh
wwm

Eric7

• View Profile
Hello,
New here!
Thanks for response.

hh
wwm

You are welcome.

Burley's hitch only works on 9mm diameter rear axles.  Rad has 12 mm diameter axles.  It won't fit. Others have tried. Also, the Rad axles are so short, there is not enough room to put in the full size (full thickness) Burley hitch.  Rad rear axles are not replaceable - if you bend it or strip the thread because you are using too little thread for the nut, you have to buy a whole new wheel/hub motor/connector assembly. 

There are a number of ways to solve this problem.  They are over the web and on this forum.

I provided one way that does not involve any rear axle modification or compromise the rear wheel attachment at all.

jawsrider

• View Profile
I have been in contact with Burley's customer service about this topic.  They told me that I may need one of the hitch adapters.  Here is the hitch adapter: https://www.burley.com/product/hitch-adapter/

Will any of these fit onto the Rad's 12mm axle?

Thanks for any potential responses.

Hello,
New here!
Thanks for response.

hh
wwm

You are welcome.

Burley's hitch only works on 9mm diameter rear axles.  Rad has 12 mm diameter axles.  It won't fit. Others have tried. Also, the Rad axles are so short, there is not enough room to put in the full size (full thickness) Burley hitch.  Rad rear axles are not replaceable - if you bend it or strip the thread because you are using too little thread for the nut, you have to buy a whole new wheel/hub motor/connector assembly. 

There are a number of ways to solve this problem.  They are over the web and on this forum.

I provided one way that does not involve any rear axle modification or compromise the rear wheel attachment at all.

Eric7

• View Profile
I have been in contact with Burley's customer service about this topic.  They told me that I may need one of the hitch adapters.  Here is the hitch adapter: https://www.burley.com/product/hitch-adapter/

Will any of these fit onto the Rad's 12mm axle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNQ1ICba8M

I think this is the only way.  Not too complicated.  I have not done it so you have to figure out the safety issue yourself.  Many videos like this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:55:09 AM by Eric7 »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum