News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRover 5 street tire experience

Started by Seasaw, November 21, 2021, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Seasaw

I ride my rover 90% pavement and 10% hard packed dirt, no real "offroad". I thought I'd share my experience with tires:
1 - OEM Kenda Juggernaut- not great for pavement. Noisy, rough riding and high rolling resistance on pavement.
2 - My second set of tires were SUNLITE Tires 26X3.5 Bk/Bk Wire Baja (same as Vee tires). I like these tires, they are very quiet, smooth rolling and "very cushiony" at 20 - 25 psi.  What I didn't like
      was they also have high rolling resistance.
3- My current and favorite tires are the  Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 . Although designated 2.5, when installed on the Rover OEM rims, they settle in at 3.1 inches. They are very quiet, extremely
     smooth riding, and reasonably cushioning. I initially ran them at 35 PSI, but soon moved to 50psi (rated up to 65psi) and the rolling resistance is very low. I really like these tires.

I've also read good things about 0rigin8, but have no experience with them.

santacruzpaul

Quote from: Seasaw on November 21, 2021, 11:24:06 AM
I ride my rover 90% pavement and 10% hard packed dirt, no real "offroad". I thought I'd share my experience with tires:
1 - OEM Kenda Juggernaut- not great for pavement. Noisy, rough riding and high rolling resistance on pavement.
2 - My second set of tires were SUNLITE Tires 26X3.5 Bk/Bk Wire Baja (same as Vee tires). I like these tires, they are very quiet, smooth rolling and "very cushiony" at 20 - 25 psi.  What I didn't like
      was they also have high rolling resistance.
3- My current and favorite tires are the  Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 . Although designated 2.5, when installed on the Rover OEM rims, they settle in at 3.1 inches. They are very quiet, extremely
     smooth riding, and reasonably cushioning. I initially ran them at 35 PSI, but soon moved to 50psi (rated up to 65psi) and the rolling resistance is very low. I really like these tires.

I've also read good things about 0rigin8, but have no experience with them.

I am in need of tires soon for my RR5 also, I agree with your evaluation of the stock Kenda's, I am probably going with the Origin 8 in the link below because of size, Bigger the better for me, 
https://amzn.to/3Gwy7Ix

moemulroy

Can you send me a photo of 2.5 tires on you RR 5
Thanks

Radding Along

Origin 8 is pretty proud of their tires. They are over double the cost of a Kenda Juggernaut.

santacruzpaul

Got the new tires for the Radrover installed with new tubes, They are origin 8 supercell 26x4. Real grippy tires, Smooth and Quiet ride, And less rolling resistance, All as expected, Tires also do well on loose dirt and gravel trails too.  I did feel some self steer as others have, But went from 17 to 22 in air pressure and it seems gone, I have also read that self steer goes away after about 25 miles of break in,
For the record I am 6'1" 218 lbs. and the stock rear Kenda tire lasted 1500 miles before wearing out, The front is still in good shape and am keeping it as a spare, or to give  away.  Forgot to mention, Had to replace front brakes also at 1500 miles, The rears are still good, I went with the ceramic Tektro's.