Author Topic: RR6 brake specs  (Read 1882 times)

bruntoj

• View Profile
RR6 brake specs
« on: November 17, 2021, 09:53:45 PM »
Had a frustrating phone call with Rad support today.  Had my bike about 1 month and 141 miles and in the last week both brakes have gone spongy.  Called them up hoping to get details of the new hydraulic+ceramic brake system, things like what Nutt model they are, what brake pads to buy etc so that I can buy the correct bleed kit and spare pads etc.

The good news: Rad said they’ll address it under warranty and referred me to a local dealer.

The bad news:  When I tried to get details the Rad guy just quoted the website with words like hydraulic and ceramic.  When I asked for brake pad details he said they’re not replaceable and I’d would need “a new fork assembly”.  I’m not kidding!  I politely said he must be mistaken, can he please look into it and get back to me with details.
5 minutes later he phoned me back and said that the entire brake system is sold as one piece, calipers+cable+lever, and that the pads weren’t replaceable, and would I like to order that as my backup spare (when all I really want is spare pads…)

I’m just shocked and frustrated at the lack of tech details for the new RR6 brakes and the knowledge/ability of the support guy or his database.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bruntoj

• View Profile
RR6 brake specs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 09:27:25 AM »
Update:  took the bike to the refered dealer (REI) and they bled the brakes, adjusted a screw in the lever, and replaced the front pads.  They used metal/sintered pads which are noisier but supposed to last longer. To Rad’s credit, they have processed the dealers invoice and issued me a credit.

Was at the Rad showroom this weekend (not brake related) and the service guy was very helpful and said he sees people wearing out their brakes very quickly in hilly areas, and that the pads are a common size so don’t stress out trying to find the exact same pads again.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 06:42:43 PM by bruntoj »

bruntoj

• View Profile
Re: RR6 brake specs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
Jeff, thanks for the pic.  Do you know if the pads you got were
Organic/resin or
Metal/sintered, or
Ceramic?
Carbon?

I’ve been doing some research

Omidia Ramin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 07:13:12 PM »
Update:  took the bike to the refered dealer (REI) and they bled the brakes, adjusted a screw in the lever, and replaced the front pads.  They used metal/sintered pads which are noisier but supposed to last longer. To Rad’s credit, they have processed the dealers invoice and issued me a credit.

I found the metal pads way too noisy and unworkable in wet. I switched back…

bruntoj

• View Profile
RR6 brake specs
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »
Update:  I purchased a double-pack of the Tektro ceramic p20.11 pads and they don’t fit!  They’re about 1-2mm too wide to fit the slot in the caliper assembly. 

Photo comparisons between the originals, Kool Stops, and these Tektros to follow soon. 

I must be doing a lot more extreme riding than most.  I just hit 400 miles total and will be on my 3rd set of front pads and halfway through my 2nd rears.

Edit: Here’s the KoolStops overlaid on the Tektro P20.11’s. Maybe the Tektro fit the RR5 but not the RR6+ ?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:14:38 PM by bruntoj »

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 09:18:30 PM »
You want to look for Sram Elixir style pads. They will fit Rad's Nutt brakes.

https://amzn.to/3zB5MOV
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:34:47 AM by Ryan »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 09:18:30 PM »