News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Optimal Tire Pressure Radcity5 Plus

Started by Packrat1, November 14, 2021, 10:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Packrat1

For pavement riding exclusively, what PSI would you recommend on these bikes? Tire sidewall says 35-65 PSI.

Samsquam

I've been running 50# and it seems good for dirt and pavement.

Ddaybc

I know you are asking about the Radcity5 plus but my Radwagon4 has the same recommendation on the sidewall of the tires. When I got it last July I ran 30 lbs in the tires until I put a cushioned seat on it. It did fine and was more comfortable although I had only rode it on pavement up until the seat change. I run 50 lbs in the tires now and have ridden on rail trails and pavement and with 50 lbs in the tires I'm less concerned about getting a flat. For comforts sake you will be fine with lower tire pressure. Just be careful on where you ride so you minimize the chance of getting a flat.

Slowrider

I put about 55 but I notice it slowly goes down so I check it once a week or so.

mwillis201

Radcity 5 plus (Step-Thru & High-Step: I use 64 PSI.  It coasts longer and the tires wear is "longer" and "even" over time.  Also, you have less chance of object puncture.  An under-inflated tire is more acceptable to object puncture and unstable steering and a short life.  The same principle applies (1 lb under the max PSI) to automobiles and motorcycles, etc.   It's a firmer ride; but you'll save $$$ in the long-term and maintain better steering control and performance.

Slowrider

Quote from: mwillis201 on March 12, 2022, 11:32:31 AM
Radcity 5 plus (Step-Thru & High-Step: I use 64 PSI.  It coasts longer and the tires wear is "longer" and "even" over time.  Also, you have less chance of object puncture.  An under-inflated tire is more acceptable to object puncture and unstable steering and a short life.  The same principle applies (1 lb under the max PSI) to automobiles and motorcycles, etc.   It's a firmer ride; but you'll save $$$ in the long-term and maintain better steering control and performance.

You should go by the pressure listed on the inside of the door and not the max pressure on the tire when it comes to automobiles.  Engineers have calculated this pressure based on a lot of factors like the weight of the vehicle on each tire.  Over pressure in the tires at best can lead to uneven wear but at worse poor stopping distance in an emergency.  It would not be a worthwhile tradeoff for that theoretical 1 MPG savings to get into a serious accident.  Just my ¢2 and you have to decide what is best for you 😀

Rover

I've been running 50 psi on my new City 5 Plus step thru. It feels stable with a good ride feel at this pressure. Much higher makes the tires feel 'harder'. I have the Tannus inserts so don't know if that affects the Rad tires but I have them on my Trek ebike also and the ride feel and composure is similar at similar tire pressure.

FL-GK

Quote from: Samsquam on November 17, 2021, 03:54:53 PM
I've been running 50# as well and it's good for pavement but I did notice some slippage on a shell path, it's been good in the dirt and sand of sunny (and 83°) FLA.

Overall I would say I'm happy I went with the "city" vs "rover" tires. If money did not matter I would have both plus a fat tire trike, and might as well throw in one of the all wheel drive monsters!

I say the above because I think, to a degree, all of us are wondering if we made the right choice (fat tire vs regular) for our riding styles and areas we mostly have and get to ride in. Oh well, see above and buy another bike!

david.platt@mac.com

I am running 60 PSI and gliding beautifully.

I got the SR Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seatpost with Protective Cover(27.2x400mm) so I am ready for the odd pot hole.

FL-GK

Quote from: FL-GK on April 19, 2022, 10:08:42 AM
I've been running 50# as well and it's good for pavement but I did notice some slippage on a shell path, it's been good in the dirt and sand of sunny (and 83°) FLA.

Overall I would say I'm happy I went with the "city" vs "rover" tires. If money did not matter I would have both plus a fat tire trike, and might as well throw in one of the all wheel drive monsters!

I say the above because I think, to a degree, all of us are wondering if we made the right choice (fat tire vs regular) for our riding styles and areas we mostly have and get to ride in. Oh well, see above and buy another bike!

Here is what I did. These are performing excellently, have made it a different and better bike.

Slowrider

Quote from: FL-GK on May 13, 2022, 10:04:35 AM
Quote from: FL-GK on April 19, 2022, 10:08:42 AM

Here is what I did. These are performing excellently, have made it a different and better bike.

If I had to go over gravel I would do this but mine never leaves the pavement so I wouldn't want the range hit.  I'm surprised Rad doesn't offer tire or other options but maybe they figure that would complicate inventory.

FL-GK

Quote from: Packrat1 on November 20, 2021, 04:28:49 PM
Thanks
I'm pretty sure I mentioned somewhere I was running 50 and that was performing pretty well, I have come to find I prefer a much softer ride so I doubt I would run 50 if I put my old tires on, probably 35-40. I don't care about range on like 99% of my rides, I get about 4-5 one plus hour rides per charge on soft tires (35lbs). Lastly and I may post this down below to the other poster so they see it I have found the stock tires heavy and very much out of balance so I would consider replacement as soon as they show first signs of wear, or if cost is not the issue I would just replace now.

Radding Along

50Lbs is what Rad suggests. You can go lower , but you run the risk of getting a flat from a pinched tube after hitting a pothole. Just run 50 and deal with the harsher ride.